Thread: Kelty Redwing 2900's at REI-outlet.com

Kelty Redwing 2900's at REI-outlet.com

I don't know how much these things go for normally but I've read enough of this forum to know that people seem to like the Kelty Redwings for packing LF gear. Anyway, I pick up some good deals at REI-outlet.com all the time and noticed these today. Sez $70, normally $100. Just trying to help. No flames please.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47780664&storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&langId=-1

I have this pack. Very very comfortable with heavy loads and roomy enough for a modest 8x10 outfit. Some of the tie-down points on the bottom of the pack are not as rugged as I would like to see, other than that. Its a great buy.

Dave Karp

I use one to pack my 4x5 monorail and all of my lenses. One tripod leg fits in the side pocket that I think is for cross country skis. It works great. The Redwing is a very comfortable pack with an internal frame. I think mine cost $79 at REI.com, so this is a good price.

Yes, that is about right for price. I picked one up a month ago at Academy for about $70. It is last years' model so the price is going to be lower. The newer model is 3100 and they rearranged some things and is a bit heavier. I really like the pack for my 4X5 system. It is actually a little big for capapcity but nice for longer outings if I need extra clothing,food,water,etc. To simplify things a little bit more I put the camera (wrapped in my darkcloth) into a REI FULL Lode waistpack. It also holds another lense, light meter, and loupe. It fits nicely inside the Redwing and when I stop to shoot, I simply strap the waistpack on and get to stuff readily and easily. It is nice to be able to put the lense cap,gg protector, and other "pieces" in a convenient spot. It saves me from having to bend down repeatedly. Just an FYI. I also like the Redwing for its panel loading style.

I also have one for my 4x5 field camera, and there is plenty of space! I can even fit my Bogen CF in the Red Wing 2900. To take up a bit of the extra space i cut a piece of 2" thick foam and placed it in the bottom of the pack. That way i can set it down and don't have to worry about rocks or pavement banging the camera. I believe that the $100 full price is about right. $70 sounds good.

I've been using the Redwing 2900 for over a year now and love it. I use it for my long dayhikes with my 4x5 gear (4 lenses, camera, readyloads, extra clothing,etc...). A word of caution - when buying a Redwing, be careful not to by the 2500 model. It looks identical to the 2900, but will not hold a 4x5 system and the required accessories. You won't be disappointed with the quality.

Perhaps some you RedWing users could elaborate on how you pack you gear into the pack and what you use to protect it. Maybe even post a few "snapshots" to help the visiualization impaired. ;-)

Thanks Mike

Old School Wayne

Perhaps some you RedWing users could elaborate on how you pack you gear into the pack

-------------------------------

I wrap my metal Wista in the darkcloth, and my lenses are in commerical bags or bubble wrap. Camera goes in first, lenses, light meter and holders on either side of it or above it. I use no other special padding and nothing has ever been damaged. I got my RW for $70 a few years ago from REI. Its a nice pack for more than just photo gear.

Old School Wayne

Perhaps some you RedWing users could elaborate on how you pack you gear into the pack

-------------------------------

I wrap my metal Wista in the darkcloth, and my lenses are in commerical bags or bubble wrap. Camera goes in first, lenses, light meter and holders on either side of it or above it, or in side pockets (holders only). My Mido holders go in a tupperware container that fits them perfectly. I use no other special padding or techniques and nothing has ever been damaged. I got my RW for $70 a few years ago from REI. Its a nice pack for more than just photo gear, its good for overnight trips if you leave the gear home.

Hi Michael,

Sorry - no snapshots, but I can give you a description of how I pack it. I put my 5 lenses in a Justin Gnass lenscase (it's the 4-lens case, but it holds 5 lenses since 3 of my lenses are small Fuji's). I put my Toyo 45AII in a Lowepro Mini-Magnum case - fits like a glove. I use a Gnass film holder case to hold my Quickloads and Quickload holder. Lee filter system in a Lee filter case (holds 10 filters I think). All small odds and ends in a Domke photographers vest. The fit of these items is perfect for the Redwing 2900, and I have room left over for maps, food, and a little clothing. My tripod goes outside of the case in the slots designed to hold skis. Water bottle goes in the slot on the other side. This pack is ideal for long dayhikes. I've gone up to 14 miles with this kit, and I'm bringing lenses from 110 to 300mm - enough to shoot 99% of what I want. Hope this helps.