Thread: Reflex Viewer for a Busch Pressman.

Reflex Viewer for a Busch Pressman.

Hello everyone, I currently have a busch pressman "d" and I am thinking of getting a reflex viewer (something like the toyo reflex). If I make the mechanical adaptor, should the optics work fine? thanks, Carlos

Carlos,

I don't see why not. I have thought about doing the same thing with my Busch Pressman D.

By the way, with a viewer you view the screen from one place. This causes problems with wideangle lenses. Some sort of fresnel screen would help a lot. I have a Maxwell screen on my Bush by the way.

How did you put the Maxwell screen on the camera. I am talking about the thickness, etc. Not many responses on building a reflex finder. But I'll wait.

The Toyo Reflex Viewer has a removable/reversible mounting plate that attaches to the Toyo backs via the same spring-loaded pin mechanism used for their folding hood. It attaches via a lip on one side, and a slider bar on the other - somewhat like a one-sided graflok back. The mounting plate is only about 3/16" thick, however, so an adapter plate that would fit your Busch would have to be the same thickness. (The "focus" of the binocular viewing lenses is set to match that distance.) The viewer segment is also removable, however, which might aid with eye positioning with wide angle lenses without a fresnel, but you'd lose the magnification.

As to the Maxwell screen on the Busch Pressman D.: You can only mount the screen with a thin piece of Mylar over it for protection if you still intend to use the folding hood. It is too thick if a glass cover is used.

I had to ask Bill Maxwell to supply me with a perfectly flat screen because the first one he sent bowed outward slightly. This was easily corrected with the glass cover but with no glass cover in this particular application it would cause incorrect focus in the center.

Since the leather of the hood of this particular camera is miss-folded it causes a slight pressure on the screen when the camera is stored with the hood attached, I don't store the camera with the folded hood attached. This problem will be eventually solved when I get around to replacing the leather with thin nylon.

Thanks to everyone that contribute information. I have options from building it to modifing toyo's or polaroid. Thanks again, Carlos