Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Texture

Re: Texture

Personally the flat light + N+2 development creates the beautiful tones. The light in this last one doesn't flatter the tones as much, though the texture is still nice.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

That last one was shot in direct sunlight. I have to say these recent negatives have been a good learning experience in regard to push processing. I agree that the softer light is more pleasing.

J.

Hi all,
    In the past few months i've made a study series for texture rendering with natural light, some light modifiers and some pics with speedlights at my home studio. The target was acquire practice, and getting familiar the LF Sinar F2,

Here is one shot from this series:

6x7_2014-4530-31 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

Coper hat, wood and leaves.
    Sinar F2 - Fuji Across 100 ISO. Tominon 4.5/105mm. Agfa Rodinal 1:100 1h 20ºC stand

Cheers,

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    And again.

Pacemaker Speed Graphic, 18cm Xenar @f/45, Acros 100.

Jonathan
    Real nice series, Jonathan. I have been enjoying it immensely.

Thanks, Harley. I don't think that door and I are finished quite yet.

J.

I made this image from the exact position as the first one I posted in this series, but it was about half an hour later and the had light changed a bit. There was dappled sunlight moving around the face of the door by this time. The effect is subtle because the spot of light was in motion during a two second exposure, but it's there, mostly across the central paint curls. I didn't give this negative extra development because of the additional light, and I didn't bother scanning it at first because the other negative had better contrast on first inspection. But I like this one, too, although by most measures the two images are nearly identical.

The contrast index to which I developed the first negative is probably better suited to traditional darkroom printing with a diffusion light source or even alternative print processes. (It's very dense but with good highlight separation.) My scanner had an easier time with the lower contrast of this second negative. I worry sometimes that I am inadvertently tailoring my development to suit the scanner and not the enlarger. The point may be moot as my goal to build a home darkroom continues to get put on hold.

9x12cm Ica Universal Palmos 275, 15cm Zeiss Doppel-Amatar, Efke PL100.

Jonathan

The first image of this series is still my favourite, Jonathan!
    This one is a good one, too, but to me it seems a bit "flat", if you understand what I mean ;-)
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

I think you're right, and that flatness comes in part from not enough development. It seems that we often hit the mark on the first try without much conscious effort, and then no matter how hard we try we cannot surpass the first attempt.

J.

I'd like to see the last one with more contrast (but I like em that way ;-)). I think the main rectangular trim that's a shade darker than the rest would look even better if taken even darker. It's like a frame.

I wasn't quite sure where this belonged, but this thread seems as good as any. Texture plus shadows: