Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you get to..............

Re: Can you get to..............

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    You're probably correct, but I know some folks have come to grief on the cliff bands. Class III can be tricky, and would become much more difficult if the weather turns nasty. I'd forgotten about Snow Creek, but, as has been said, that ain't no picnic, either.

The OP has gotten good advice to stay away unless he is very experienced and conditions are perfect.

--P
    Actually, the more I thought about it, being closer to 4 and not 3 decades ago, there may have been a short 40 foot rap off a small (well-worn ) tree on one of the rock bands near the top. Or maybe that was on a myriad of other adventures lost among the cobwebs of memory. Like I said, don't trust the old farts.

If it were me and it was 20 years ago (OK, maybe 30), I'd forget coming up from the Valley entirely. I'd ski over TP from road closure. That is easily doable in packed conditions (if you are also an expert backcountry skier), even with a 4x5, arriving at a prospect shooting position at late afternoon. Ski down to Snow Creek in the dusk after sunset, and hike the trail down to the Ahwahnee by headlamp, or even better, moonlight. OMG, my mouth is so watering (and my knee is so aching!).

It was dark by the time I hit the bottom of Tenaya Canyon. I had driven up to Porcupine Flat and arrived at noon, Then hiked down to Indian Rock with the 8x10 (and not down to North Dome). Then up the ridge a little, than steep down cross-country to Snow Creek and the trail towards Mirror Lake.

My knees may have been aching, but I don't remember. Mostly due to the pain I remember I had in my feet...I was punishing each one with over 300 pounds with every step down that cross country bit and then the zig-zag down to the floor of the canyon. No great images that day, either. So it goes. Still a trip worth remembering...especially the lessons on what not to do next time.

Drew Wiley

I'll have to look thru some of my recent emails. A friend recently did all that dry weather
    from top down, ropes used, but quite a few deliberate rappel shortcuts. The pictures give
    a pretty good idea of the general route; but I haven't had time yet to look at them closely.

Don't know North Dome, but from the comments:

As is often said about Winter Photography on parts of Mt Hood and Mt Rainier...."Photography to Die For!"

Drew Wiley

Just by coincidence my buddy called a few minutes ago with some dkrm questions. He knows all those gullies quite well and basically regards any non-climber fooling around that
    area in winter as essentially suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Cross-county skiing to Glacier Point sounds fun...
    I'm not sure who suggested it is (not really all that convenient to North Dome, afterall), but it certainly was the couple hundred of times I've done it. My wife (then GF) and I even spent the night in one of the ranger cabins out there, when I was on "official" duty as a founding member of the original Yosemite Nordic Ski Patrol in the 70's. 2007 was the last time I skied out and back, with the sole goal of photography:

Summit Meadow, Winter

Mt. Starr King and Clark Range, Winter

Clearing Winter Storm, Half Dome

Here's an image of my only time out that way before the road opens. A backpack trip from Wawona Tunnel to Glacier Point (down the Four Mile Trail).

Mistaking the Map for the Territory (self portrait of my hand)
    Sentinal Dome, YNP
    Silver gelatin print from 4x5/150mm lens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mistaking the Map for the Territory, YNP_16x20.jpg  

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If January 2013 is the same as January 2011, you can drive out to the Porcupine Creek trailhead and hike to North Dome in a couple of hours and spend the night if you like...if this January turns out the same as last January.

Nice B&W images of the area ROL

Thomas

Drew Wiley

My gosh, those shots make me homesick. The Clark Range was practically my backyard,
    but from the opposite side, into the San Joaquin drainage.