Thread: Scanview Scanmate 4000

Scanview Scanmate 4000

... seems to be a scanner nobody talks about in here.

Does anyone know how it compares to the Scanmate 5000? Looking at the manuals, the only difference seems to be a lower Dmax (3.8 compared 4.0) and, of course, lower max dpi. Does any of you know, whether the drums are interchangeable between the two models (I would suspect and hope so)?

Would one consider the difference in Dmax to be something I would notice in my scans (almost exclusively color negatives)?

specsheets are here:
    http://www.promarketinc.com/pdf/scan...anmate4000.pdf
    http://www.promarketinc.com/pdf/scan...anmate5000.pdf

thanks,
    lars

Re: Scanview Scanmate 4000

Is it the scanner on dxl/dba/antik-i/dlbm? Test it personally. If everything works fine and if it also comes with software boxes, calibration slides and a cleaning wand, it's a great deal. Scanmate 3000 (3.6D) gives excellent 16-bit negative scans in ColorQuartet. It does seem to be almost identical to 5000: http://translate.google.com/translat...Mate.4000.html

Yup, its the one... discovered it yesterday and called the guy - comes with nothing but a power cable, though

Test it anyway. G4 Mac tower can be found for cheap, just like a 29160 SCSI card and a cable. ColorQuartet for either OS 9 or OS X can be downloaded from abc scan dk. Have a few pieces of film or a sharp 8x10 to test for variations in "jaggies" on two sides of the drum, if there are any. You can make your own almost-good focus calibration slide by laser-printing a few pairs of thin horizontal parallel lines on a piece of thin film. It might turn out to work fine.

FYI, I got the scanner home today - will take a week or two before I will see how it runs. Nevertheless, I talked to Michael Bęk a few days ago. The differences between Scanmate 4000 and 5000 breaks down to this:
    * 4000 dpi compared to 5000, of course
    * the 4000 cannot store calibration profiles for more than one drum, hence if you use more than one drum, you need to calibrate before each scan
    * the 4000 has not got the drawer for a spare drum

... apart from the above mentioned, they are identical and use the same drum. Now you know!