Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right price for Sinar P2?

Right price for Sinar P2?

Hi

First off. im new here and new to the LF so please bear with me and my spelling

Im looking to buy this p2(it comes with original case aswell) but i have no idea on how much it is worth an the going prices for these.
    So any advice here will be helpfull for me
    Thanks
    Second im offered a F2 aswel complete with what i need to get started with LF photoing ,in nice condition they say ,(i have no photo of that set up)so im keen on some input on the going prices on the f2 if its posible witout pictures?
    Thank again

ThomasClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar P2[1].jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	80793

Re: Right price for Sinar P2?

Check ebay completed listings

As long as it is in nice, clean condition that P2 will sell for between $800 to $1500. It looks like a great kit with the Sinar tripod head and extra bellows for use making extensions and lenshades. These are incredible bargains compared to the 1990s when that set-up would cost the same as a cheap new car. Most hobby photographers want compact wooden cameras because they are pretty to look at and they think they are going backpacking, but a solid Sinar set-up on a sturdy tripod is a luxurious camera to actually use (although I would not want to backpack with one!)

A Sinar F2 is their best field model, good for location work. Sometimes they sell for under $500 on eBay but most of the time they hover around $600. Consider that you can often get an older, basic F model for under $300 that does the same thing - although I would opt for the F2 myself. Sometimes there are incredible bargains and it is not unusual to buy two, assemble the kit you want from the combined parts and off-sell the extras. It is probably cheaper to buy an entirely new camera and cherry-pick the best pieces instead of sending a $500 camera in for $300 worth of servicing ;-p

Another option is a Sinar Norma, the very well made earlier system that is mostly compatible with the F-P line. They have more metal and are solid, smart cameras that tend to be undervalued, about the same as an F2 or a bit higher.

Some Sinars have been in rental departments and busy studios so they have been used harshly and may need maintenance. Mint cameras that have been unused for years may be gummed up and stiff from inactivity. Detents that hold the standards straight and parallel can be adjusted to compensate for wear, and all wear surfaces are replaceable. So you'll want to know what the condition is and maybe budget for a trip to the Sinar service facility in your region. In the USA, http://precisioncameraworks.com is a good alternative to Sinar-Bron as Bob Watkins is a former Sinar service person.

KEH.com in the USA is a reliable vendor of used Sinars and they have an easy return policy. eBay is riskier.

All in all, buy based on cosmetics. If it doesn't look beat-up then it probably is OK. If you are new to large format please read the root level of this website as it has a lot of basic information ~ and then ask here as people are very helpful.

That looks like a pretty nice P2 kit! The Sinar head is a big bonus too, it looks like. (I've become a big Sinar expert in the last couple days...)

That is a very nice looking P2 outfit!

If you find you can't or don't want to afford the P2 you might look at the earlier Sinar P.

I purchased a really nice Sinar P from Columbus Camera Works off Ebay for only $600.00 plus shipping. It came with a Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6 lens and one of those old plastic Cambo cases. The lens is also in really nice condition. The case is a little rough on the outside but functional.

Just be patient if you want deal.

I think that should have been Columbus Camera Group. Anyway, there are deals out there if you look.

Thanks for your replys.
    The seller thinks it is worth some thing betwen 1700-2600$ ( 10K-15K NOK).Is that way off? What do you think i should offer her?
    Again thanks

Konge - I've found that camera owners who've spent tens of thousands on gear when it was new - it doesn't matter that it's LF gear that has largely been supplanted by digital - are downright LOTH to part with it for mere pennies on the dollar, even though that's pretty much the going rate nowadays.

With that said, $2K is probably reasonable, and in the ballpark if your P2 kit there is in very good condition. That's a pretty complete setup and you'd be hard pressed to get everything there, especially that Sinar PT head, for much less than that. If you got everything in the photo for $2-2.2K, I would say that represents right around $1000 for the camera, which is pretty much in-line with what Frank P. mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm sure you've already done this, but do a good search through EBay and especially at the completed listing section. It helps to see what stuff actually sold for vs. what people thought they could get for it.

Or maybe not. I could be off by as much as $1000, so don't pay too much attention to me.

I see a lens in there too so $2000 isn't far off. Of course even at that bargain price there are not many buyers and sometimes these linger on the market until a ready customer comes along. Ask anyone selling high-end gear, it takes patience.