Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with tripod selection

Re: Help with tripod selection

Hehehehehehehehehe

Hey those cameras cost $4995 so why not drop some coin on a proper tripod? Gitzos are fine for the 99%.

You might consider one of the Feisols. I have two Gitzos and a Feisol, the Feisol appears to be just as well made at about a third the cost of the Gitzos.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'd echo the Ries/Berlebach selection, partly because they'd also be the prettiest under your camera, especially with a matching dark finish to the wood!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Go back a page on "gear" and find kameraobskura's thread "New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)".

That's what you need for an Ebony!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd echo the Ries/Berlebach selection, partly because they'd also be the prettiest under your camera, especially with a matching dark finish to the wood!
    I'd imagine that esthetically a carbon tripod would be a better match for the Ebony, a personal preference. The Berlebach/Ries wooden tripod route is certainly a different style, equally handsome in a different way, but the woodies also have a lot going for them in terms of practicality, very easy set up and adjustment, a pleasure to use. I find that sliding legs are just easier and more intuitive to use than twisting leg section locks (invariably in the wrong direction)!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    You might consider one of the Feisols. I have two Gitzos and a Feisol, the Feisol appears to be just as well made at about a third the cost of the Gitzos.
    I agree. I've just received a Feisol I ordered to go with a Toyo 45AX for backpacking - model 3441T which folds down to 19" with ballhead and has maximum extended height of around 72" with ballhead. I'm very impressed with it. Stable and very light. At a pinch it would support my Linhof 4x5 monorail Depending on extension, wind etc, but I have Berlebach for that. I think the Feisols are very good value for money.

Do you think he actually went through wih it? I bet most people don't when it comes down to dropping serious money without having done large format before.