Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to work a compound shutter

How to work a compound shutter

I've got a compound shutter I'm scared to touch. I have found a resource, but I really don't want to "fiddle" with this baby. Seems like it's already on the edge of death.

"B" is for bulb, yes?

Then what is "M" and "N"? It came from europe so these might be german abbreviations?

There doesn't seem to be a button to open the shutter for focusing, either.

Thanks

Re: How to work a compound shutter

M is moment, or normal timing, B is bulb and Z is zeit or time. To focus set to B or Z, on Z you can open the shutter by depressing the release, close by depressing again. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE THE M-B-Z BUTTON IF THE SHUTTER IS @#!*% . DO NOT ATTEMPT TO @#!*% THE SHUTTER IN ANY OTHER THAN THE M POSITION.

Set the shutter speed before cocking. If the shutter speed is a long one, wait 10 or 20 seconds after cocking before tripping the shutter, this lets the pressure in the timing cylinder equalise. American versions made by B&L were marked "I-B-T"

These are great shutters, I use a few of them, the oldest is well over 100 and still reliable.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Oh goody, a word puzzle. Five letters, can be used as an adjective or verb, has to do with shutters, is important.

This from SK Grimes site.
    http://www.skgrimes.com/library/used...tters/compound
    "These well made shutters suffer a poor reputation for two reasons that have nothing to do with their excellent design:First, their odd operating ergonomics require that the cocking lever not be used when the shutter is set to the “B” or “T” functions. Forcing the cocking lever (and thereby damaging the mechanism) happens frequently when these are up for inspection at buy/sell shows or in the hands of uninstructed assistants or other users."

Alright guys, with your help, I was able to get the shutter to fire on M. But when I set it to B and pulled the release without cocking the shutter, the shutter is still open and I can't get it to close again. Any ideas?

That sk grimes link that's up the page has a tutorial on how to work on these shutters. I just read of this same problem on another thread, and it turned out the shutter closing spring was tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    Alright guys, with your help, I was able to get the shutter to fire on M. But when I set it to B and pulled the release without cocking the shutter, the shutter is still open and I can't get it to close again. Any ideas?

Hm. Not sure I've got the skills to disassemble this. Think you could toss me a link to the thread on the other forum?

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    That sk grimes link that's up the page has a tutorial on how to work on these shutters. I just read of this same problem on another thread, and it turned out the shutter closing spring was tired.

The shutter needs a CLA.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The shutter needs a CLA.
    +1

These are excellent shutters and can almost always be brought back to working condition, unless someone without the proper skills tries to "fix" it

Hm. Not sure I've got the skills to disassemble this. Think you could toss me a link to the thread on the other forum?
    If you're not sure you have the skills, you likely don't have the skills. Sorry to be a @#!*% , but that's about the way it is. Send it to someone who knows how, it will be cheaper and you'll be happier in the long run.

NB some of these have composition (treated paper?) aperture blades. They are extremely fragile.