Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube

Lube

Hi

Well i recently started buying my first LF kit, Sinar F 4x5.
    I am planning to completely clean it up before i start using it and while i am still waiting to find and buy the remaining parts that i want.
    What i have noticed is that most of the movements seem stiffer than i would expect and the grease/lube that i can see seems as if it has dried to some degree and perhaps is not as good as it could be. So i will be totally dismantling the moving parts and cleaning off all the old lube with some kind of solvent and then re-lubricating those moving parts.

My question is, can someone who knows recommend the right or suitable lube to use please ?

Thanks.
    Colin

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Lube

One of the best cleaning solvents I've found is lighter fluid. One of hte best lubricants I've found are the "dry" teflon lubes (liquid when applied but dries fast leaving teflon coating) used for bicycles. There are more traditional greases that can be used but I've been steering away from them because this product leaves cameras smooth functioning and will not attract dirt.

One thing that cleans the old grease off really well is brake cleaner spray. Even the stuff advertised as "green" works like magic.

Something a little easier on the brain cells would be hoppe's #9 meant for cleaning gun barrels.

Unless you are subjecting the camera to extreme temperatures, I doubt a particular lube is critical.

That's a good question about camera "lubricants". I have a Sinar too and also some other stuff (enlargers, lenses, etc.) that could likely benefit from a good cleaning and re-lube.

Anyone know what the OEMs would recommend as a good general purpose thread and gear lube for cameras? I know I'm really just re-asking the OP's question here, but I think it's a good one.

Dry wax lubricants for bicycle chains are good for large moving parts, and you can also get some of their lithium grease at the same shop. Those two should work for just about everything. A stick of Beeswax also comes in handy.

Throw away the WD40!

You might give Ballistol a try as both a solvent & lube. It stinks, but shouldn't harm anything.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think the maintenance manual for the Graflex Graphic View II says to use wax / naptha combination. And they only recommend lubricating the gears. Everything else just clean. Kinda like those Shell wax bars from the past. There's lots of good products. One I really like is Boeshield T9... http://boeshield.com/

EDIT: One thing is that Boeshield protects with a wax coating that you can feel. Works great but you can feel it.

Be careful with harsh solvents like brake cleaner. They will clean and ruin plastic and other materials. Naptha (lighter fluid) is a good mild solvent that cuts grease and gunk. Still, be careful around plastic and bellows materials. Cleanliness is better than too much lubricant whatever it is.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Mark MacKenzie View Post
    Cleanliness is better than too much lubricant whatever it is.
    ... and that's a fact!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Dry wax lubricants for bicycle chains are good for large moving parts, and you can also get some of their lithium grease at the same shop. Those two should work for just about everything. A stick of Beeswax also comes in handy.

Throw away the WD40!
    What he says. It's really interesting(to me) how well a little bit of wax lubricates. canning wax/car wax/floor wax etc even candle wax rubbed on.