Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

Re: What is so great about a converted Polaroid camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Dude, no offense but my floor is still dirty and my breath is still minty fresh!

Why bother fussing with the 110? - just use the D800, it is better - nobody cares how hard you worked!

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...ou-worked.html
    Yeah but it's not as much fun.

I'm really on the fence lately about renouncing all the commercial work I do (digital, obviously) and just shooting film for my own enjoyment honestly. I love the D800E, I do, but it just doesn't give me the satisfaction like shooting film, be it 135 or 8x10.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I admit, I used to have Razzledog and Dean Jones is a peach of guy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiana_hunter_05152006_00007.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	80573

But Frank, you cheated and used a Gitzo!

Like Corran I am partial to my Chamonix Saber with a couple of grafmatics and a light carbon tripod or monopod when hiking.
    Don't get me wrong, when I am up there I would love to have my 45N2, front tilt and four lenses. My back just disagree with the concept, that's all.
    But yes the Saber is a lot lighter than the other conversions.

Depending on the mood, I will substitute it for the Mamiya 7 and two lenses.

I like having the choice to pick one or the other and I am a whimp when it comes to medium or heavy loads when hiking - comes from screwing two discs after 20 years of mixed martial arts I guess...

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    To each their own but sheet film is too expensive for me to shoot hand held. Give me my Ries tripod and no wind!
    I had to blow several hundred sheets to realize that myself ;-p

But yes the Saber is a lot lighter than the other conversions.
    Gotta admit that they are pretty cool cameras!

Understandable, Luc. I had a back fusion back in 94.

I wheel my 8x10 Wehman around in a cordura tool bag and I don't go far.

A Polaroid conversion I use weighs 3 pounds 2 ounces, add 1 pound per Grafmatic and 1/2 pound for lightmeter. 2 pound tripod optional. It's slender and fits into a very small pack. I throw it in the car when we go away on day trips and (since I have practice) I can pull it out, open and shoot pretty quickly. After the shot it goes back in the pack where it's ready, without advertising me as anybody but just another dad out there with his kids. It gets used a lot, I've got enough empty boxes to think I've shot 1,000 sheets. When people comment I just say "thanks" and if they ask what it is I mutter something like "it's an old Polaroid"... if pressed, I'll unhook the Graflok and show them there's nothing inside, kind of like a magic trick.

It can be part of a "one-camera, one-lens" project. Many times, it is the only camera I have on-hand. Lately I avoid using the cellphone camera at the same time. On soccer parade day I missed a shot because I was fiddling with the cellphone. Kids went by while I was setting phone to black and white mode to "preview" flare. Had to run to a new spot to catch the kids again. So I stopped using cellphone camera for previews. I also avoid bringing multiple cameras. One day at Disneyland I carried both 35mm and 4x5 and at the end of the day I'd forgotten to take it out. Sure the 35mm shots from the day are nice. But it sucked that I had zero 4x5 shots. The camera was on my back the whole time. Next time I made a point of only bringing one camera, and I'm happy with the results.

Handheld wasn't my goal. I always plan on using tripods. But I'll shoot it handheld in a pinch. I wanted the 4x5 look because I was dissatisfied with graininess of 35mm fine grain black and white. I wanted a lightweight 4x5 camera that I could bring backpacking. Extra points if total weight could be less than the 35mm Olympus gear that I would normally carry.

Everything I shoot 4x5 is with the conversion. This shot at 1/300th has no motion blur. The dress itself screams sharpness, every black line comes to a razor's point. This may seem like a technical exercise, but it's actually a kind of shot I've wanted to get for a long time. Wedding photos are part of what made me wish I used 4x5 more often...

Bride to-be, Heisler Park, Laguna Beach

What's so great about polaroid conversions? It's a problem solver for some people. If that camera allows somebody to achieve a photographic goal like hiking deeper somewhere, shooting more, greater spontaneity- whatever it might be- I'm all for it.

Folks! To each his own!

All of photography is a wonderful place. There are many ways to do photography and thee is something for almost everyone.

I was initially attracted by the hand-held RF conversions as I also have an attraction to the older 120 film medium format folders of the 1930-1950 vintage. I still like the concept—BUT.

I found the Polaroids to be . . .well, not thst handy (for me and the high-endconversions are pricy. If there was a real market for a LF Bessa-II (substitute the name of your own favorite folder)in 4x5 format, someone would be making a purpose designed compact 4x5 from modern lightweight materials. Lomo/Holga doesn't even make some plastic abomination in 4x5.

The above is ment to say that converted Polaroids are not my cup of tea.

Lets just leave ecveryone to create images as they choose; with the format, materials and equipment they choose. Just show us the images.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Oh yeah . . .Regarding Polaroid conversions:

The drama on this board and elswhere in the early 2Ks was entertaining but bloody. lets not go back.

Respectful Cheers to Everyone.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!