Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many holders do you carry (landscapes from near the car on a nice day)?

Re: How many holders do you carry (landscapes from near the car on a nice day)?

8x10...5 holders.
    4x5 ....10 holders.
    I try to pace set-ups and exposures so that I have one or two sheets left at the end of the day; just in case I meet Elvis or Bigfoot in the carpark on the way home.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I always carry slightly less than I think I might use. This keeps me from being careless, keeps my eye-brain critical.

I only use yellow-green and polarizer. 4x5.

I don't care if I miss the shot of Elvis or Bigfoot/Sasquatch/Ogopogo ... everyone would claim it's photoshopped anyway.

5x7 – 5 holders, cause that's what fits in my soft sided insulated lunch bags.

2 or 3 filters:
    medium yellow or light yellow (depending on location) + polarizer,
    +possibly either green (seasonal or red rock) or UV (protection for "wet" sooting)

Working out of the trunk? As many holders as I happen to have loaded with the film I prefer. Filters? Yellow, yellow-green, orange and red (I don't even remember the last time I used the red!) This is for 8x10
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I go out with 25 - 8x10 holders and depending on the distance from the truck and whether or not my wife is with me to help carry things I will bring anywhere from 1 or 2 holders to all 25.
    On average though when I am alone probably 6 or so holders.
    I also always carry a 4x5 back & bellows and 25 - 4x5 holders in my truck when I go out, just in case I get a bit carried away......which does happen on occasion.
    Pretty much always have a red and a yellow filter with me.

4x5, I keep 6-8 holders in my bag. Generally 2 holders of Foma-100 for a slow speed option (and shows freckles well), and 4-6 holders of my favorite general use film tmy2. I might shoot 6-8 images, but like to be prepared to shoot twice as many.

8x10, I have a case that holds neoprene bags of two holders. I can carry 6-7 holders. I rarely use more than 2-3 holders. Developing 8x10 takes me more time, so I'm more selective.

I've got a little cokin compatible filter system that comes in a 4x4x1.5" plastic case. It's got a couple ND choices and the normal yellow,orange,red,green. If I'm out just with the speed graphic and stock lens, I might keep a round yellow press-on filter on it and take it off when it's not needed.

A "full load" is 6 holders with B&W (TMax 100, although I just got a box of Delta 100 that I'll start using once the TMX is gone) and 3 holders of Efke IR820C. I have a Lee wide angle hood with 2 filter slots, so I carry a 10-slot filter wallet for which I have the B&W set (yellow, yellow-green, orange and light red), plus the ND set (0.3, 0.6 and 0.9), a polarizer and the IR filter.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Sometimes, just one holder w/ one side loaded. That will sharpen your vision. It’s also easier to decide when it’s time to head back.
    Next week-end I might take the 4x5 on an over-night hike with one of my boy's high school backpacking club. Short hike in to some lakes (~6800') in the Trinity Alps (CA). If I take the 4x5 (instead of the Rolleiflex), I'll probably bring in 4 loaded holders. No extra film or film boxes and no changing bag. A nice carbon fiber pod would be nice, but the old Gitzo Reporter and 3-way Bogan head will have to do. I'll have time to photograph in the late afternoon Saturday, and until mid-day or so on Sunday...a couple of holders for each session.

It will help me to control the "OH, WOW!" factor and focus in a little tighter...and keep the weight down , and not be the last one (again) up (and down) the trail!

But on the four/five day backpack trip I start on this Monday, I will be taking 4 to 6 4x5 holders, film, extra film box and changing tent and working out of one camp for the whole time. I might even take my spare GG just in case...I'll be walking around, fording the creek many times, etc, with the camera on the tripod for three days.

I will be photographing in a known and loved place -- the "Oh, wow!" has been internalized many years ago. More than likely I will aim for only exposing the loaded holders I have with me that day (max). Then reload that night for the next day.

I am about to develop some test negatives -- a couple from each of three boxes of out-dated Tech Pan -- I hope to use it on the hike. I used a scene on campus, a nice sun-lite wooded scene....not unlike the conditions I might meet in the redwoods and along creeks on my hike.

When I bicycle toured in new Zealand for 5 months (25 years ago), I averaged a sheet of 4x5 film every other day. I might work a little faster in the redwoods on this next hike!!!

Vaughn

Depends. Typically it would be at least 6, and if i feel like its a good colour day - 2 of them would be with color film. But it can go as high as 12, if i know i am going through woods, so about 3-5 would be with colour, rest will be with various b&w. If its 8x10, then i most likely will limit myself to 3-6, depending on how i feel and which lenses are packed in rucksack

I shoot 4x5 mostly and usually have 3 or 6 holders (both sides loaded). I have filters, but really haven't used them much (in any format).