This is not really a question, but rather an opportunity to share a wonderful find which enables us to look into the past and glory at the wonders of the old ways of photography. Being new to Large Format, I have acquired several old wooden filmholders for my 4x5 Korona and recently purchased two from an Ebay Seller located in California. I soon learned that they were glass negative holders (not the sheet holder as expected). But, when I opened one, I saw a latent picture of a group of young people at either a Church or School. I contacted my local lab, Media Specialties in Boise, ID, and they were able to actually develop the 2nd glass negative by using the one I exposed as a preliminary test for development purposes. I am not certain which chemical process was used, but I was told it took approximately 3 minutes and 15 seconds for the glass plate negative to develop. I am going to try to attach a copy of this picture.

The local historical museum's resident expert for period clothing dates the picture as having been taken between 1898 and 1905. My research has established the picture came from an estate in Wasco, CA (Bakersfield, CA area). It is a picture of 7 young adults, probably their graduation picture in an old country school. If anyone recognizes your relative/ancestor, please let me know and I'll see about getting you a better picture. It just amazes me at the quality of the film and luck of it surviving 100 years to be developed in 2004.

Oh, by the way, the 2nd Filmholder has a glass negative and the film sheet indicates it has not been exposed. I am looking forward to just the right opportunity to expose it. If it comes out, I will let everyone know. The lab estimates the glass negative they developed had an ASA of 1 to 10. Presumably the "unexposed" glass negative is the same. Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions.

I have not yet figured out how to upload the picture, sorry. I hope to do so soon. If I can't, just email me and I can send it to you as an email attachment.