Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebony Counterpoint

Ebony Counterpoint

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I almost bought an Ebony once. They are very nice!

Ebony Counterpoint

PaulO notes that most cameras provide way more movement than most of us need, most of the time. Mostly I agree, but with one exception: rise. I live in a skyscraper town (San Francisco), and shoot lots of architecture/urban stuff. I wish every one of my cameras had double the rise they have. The main reason I bother with monorails a lot of the time, is to get more direct rise. No other movement do I need in such quantity, but I wish every camera could out-rise every lens...

Ebony Counterpoint

I have owned an Arca Swiss and enjoyed it especially for studio work. In the field it required a bit of setup time and bellows swapping when changing lenses. The metric movements were nice and very accurate. Using the Arca to Linhof adapter made my lenses more compact and easier to carry.

I sold the Arca and bought the Ebony 45SU. I also bought an Ebony SV45U2. Great cameras. For architecture I like the 45SU non folder. It is extremely rigid and handles my lenses (37mm to 400mm) with no problems, and with the same bellows.

As far as the Arca screen being brighter than the Ebony.....I just did not find that to be the case. Without the fresnel the Ebony is OK, but add the Ebony fresnel and it is bright and alive. I regularly shoot the 45SU without a dark cloth. I find it to surpass the Arca in brightness.

Over the years the finish on my Arca began to scratch. The titanium on the Ebony looks as good today as when I bought it. When properly adjusted, the focus is smooth and accurate. The assymetric tilts are the feature that I love the best.

Both cameras are excellent, and both are tools that offer different ways of working. Personally I like the compactness of the Ebony and lack of a monorail.

In my opinion, the Ebony is the finest 4x5 I have very owned. It becomes an extension of my inner self when working and just does not get in the way. I also regularly borrow a friends Ebony 57SUE and enjoy it as much as the 45SU.

Some people seem to take satisfaction in bashing other peoples or manufacturers cameras. Perhaps it is insecurity, perhaps jealousy. In any event I find the Ebony to be a failry priced camera that is well made and a pleasure to use.

Ebony Counterpoint

It's just jealousy. I'm secure

Ebony Counterpoint

By the way, the Gandolfi line of cameras is in the same price range as the Ebony cameras

Not quite, the most expensive model for the Gandolfi is a little over $2800, that only comes close to the cheapest Ebony 4x5 model. the most expensive Ebony model in 4x5 is more than $1000 over the Gandolfi price and it is still more expensive than a Linhof TK S.

If we compare 8x10 prices...well then Ebony is just way above the Gandolfi prices.

Ebony Counterpoint

"There is no perfect camera."

How true. Ive been looking for a good motor driven 8x10 with a 200 exposure back plus a sharp, light 800 / 1.4 that will fit into my glove box for years. You know, something for at the football games.

Octogenarian

Ebony Counterpoint

Jorge,

The Ebony RW45, 4X5 field camera (lowest priced Ebony) can be purchased for (approx.) $1500. The 4X5 Wisner Traditional is (approx.) the same price. The lowest price Gandolfi is (approx.) $1800.

When it comes to 8X10 cameras, compare the movement capability, features, and materials. You'll soon realize why the Ebonys sell for a higher price than the Gandolfis in that format.

Ebony Counterpoint

The Ebony RW45, 4X5 field camera (lowest priced Ebony) can be purchased for (approx.) $1500. The 4X5 Wisner Traditional is (approx.) the same price. The lowest price Gandolfi is (approx.) $1800.

When it comes to 8X10 cameras, compare the movement capability, features, and materials. You'll soon realize why the Ebonys sell for a higher price than the Gandolfis in that format.

Yeah, but the lowest price 4x5 Ebony does not have all the movements that the Gandolfi has, hell, it does not even close, you have to carry the thing upright and then if you want to compare prices for 8x10, the Ebony made of Mahogany is about $2000 dollars more than the Gandolfi made of Walnut, with no significant improvements in movements. So an extra $2000 so I can have titanium? no thanks!

If you think Ebonies are the best thing since sliced bread, good for you, but lets compare apple to apples, for me, the extra money is not worth it, and yes, I can afford one if I wanted one. I would rather get a 12x20 for about the same price of a cheap Ebony 8x10.

Octogenarian

Ebony Counterpoint

Jorge,

Let's agree to disagree on this issue, and leave it at that. There is no way that I can convince you that Ebonys are not over priced and no way that you can convince me that a Gandolfi is a superior value for the investment.

When I compared the features/price of the Gandolfi and the Wisner Tech Field several years ago, I decided on the Wisner. The Ebony that I now have is more expensive, but it is a better built camera than the Wisner, with more features. I believe that I have up-graded.

I am only referring to 4X5 field cameras. So far, I have resisted moving up to 8X10 because I enjoy making 16X20 wall hangers. Printing with an enlarger is my passion, and I don't have the facility for an 8X10 enlarger set-up.

Ebony Counterpoint

Jorge,

The cheap, if $1500 can ever be considered cheap, 4x5 Ebony (RW45) does fold up. The only movements missing are back and front shift. I'm not a big movement guy, I mainly use front rise/fall, so I don't care. The smartest thing about my Ebony is the universal bellows: I can get 400+ mm of extension and decent movements with a 75mm out of the same bellows.