Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ebony Counterpoint

Ebony Counterpoint

I guess I’m one of the “poor-boyz”! I can only manage to own the cheap Ebony RW45 camera to produce landscape image for my calendars and books. One thing that I can say is movements are NOT A PROBLEM! Also, movements don’t do you a damn bit of good if you don’t spend a bucket full of $$$ for lenses with HUGE coverage, that is for us color photog’s anyway. But, I’ll go on producing my landscape images for my calendars and books with my cheap Ebony RW45 (lets not forget “no movements”) while Jorge and the others finish their pissing contest over their favorite camera. All that matters is that all of us Ebony owners love our cameras, whether we paid $1500 or $10,000. It must be a cult thing! Anyway, I’ve gotta get to the bank and cash a few checks! Checks that I received for calendar and books containing images made from my cheap RW45! Get out and shoot!

Hey Jonathan, you can get a 65mm lens to work on that RW without any problems, you don’t even need a recessed board!

www.mountaintrailpress.com www.jerrygreerphotography.com

Man, I love my EBONY!

Ebony Counterpoint

Jerry, there is no pissing contest here, while I own a Gandolfi I dont think it is the best camera in the world, and at the current prices I would not buy one. OTOH seems the pissing contest beguins when someone does not sing the praises to Ebony. In any case, I am only pointing out that Ebony and Gandolfi are not at the same price level if one compares apples to apples.

As to taking picture, like you I will continue to take pictures with my cheap Gandolfi....compared to Ebony that is.

Ebony Counterpoint

I haven't owned an Ebony, but did consider buying one. When I first got into LF I did not know how different the "personality" of each camera was. Consequently, I have owned 5 cameras in the relatively short time I have been been shooting 4X5. The first two I sold (Tachihara and Toho) due to significant dislikes. Next I bought a Wista which I rather like after putting in a Maxwell screen. However, the lack of precision in making adjustments bothered me and detracted from my photographic experience. I may not "need" that much precision, but the lack of it was affecting my enjoyment and speed of operation. On the advice of an acquaintance from college I decided to try a Toyo 45 AII, due to its rigidity and ease of adjustment for simple movements (front tilt and front rise) that I expect to use most for landscapes.

Before I could start using the Toyo, I happened to run across an ad for a recent vintage Arca Swiss Discovery and was powerless to resist. I picked up the extension rail and Arca-to-Linhof lensboard adapter as well for a very good price. After using this camera on one shoot I am hooked! Yes, it is somewhat heavier and a bit more cumbersome, but once I am on location, it is perfect. As far as the issue of leveling the camera, I initially found it more difficult, but I came up with a good solution to that also:

1) Mount Arca Swiss B1 with quick release on Gitzo leveling base on Gitzo 1325 tripod 2) Set up the tripod on a level surface and adjust the leveling base so it is level 3) Attach the camera to the Arca Swiss B1 (tripod mounting block to quick release) and level it VERY carefully by adjusting the Arca monoball. 4) Lock down the Arca Monoball and don't touch it again while using large format!

When I go to set up now, I extend tripod legs to desired height, use leveling base to create a level surface for the monoball, then use only the panning adjustment on the monoball to rotate the camera. I don't touch the monoball main knob. This will get the camera very close to level and for 90% of shots will be fine. If I find that in spite of these steps the camera levels still show the camera off a bit, I can still fine tune the leveling by adjusting the leveling base using the camera levels as the guide, rather than the bubble level on the leveling base. This procedure takes about 15 seconds in practice, as generally all I have to do is level the leveling base (before the camera is attached), then whip the camera on the Arca quick release.

The bottom line is: finding the right tool for YOU to work with makes shooting more enjoyable. For me, that tool is the Arca. For someone else (say a wide angle afficionado) it might be the Ebony SW.

--John

Octogenarian

Ebony Counterpoint

It must be a "pissing contest". My boots are all wet!

Ebony Counterpoint

There is no question that Ebony Cameras are simply the best.

Bill

Ebony Counterpoint

"There is no question that Ebony Cameras are simply the best."

At what...?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ebony Counterpoint

Creating envy in non-Ebony owners....

Ebony Counterpoint

If any of you are decent photographers (and I know most if not all of you are) you could take any one of these cameras and make decent images (and decent money). Use what you like and have fun.

You know what is said about opinions - They're like A--holes. Everyone has one, and some of them stink.

I'm not telling you what I use (some of you already know).