Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebony Counterpoint

Doug Dolde

Ebony Counterpoint

There has been so much gushing over Ebony cameras here I thought a counterpoint might be in order. I purchased an Ebony 45SU after reading all of the glowing reviews here in the forum.

After using my previous Arca Swiss 4x5, my first reaction with the Ebony was how dark and hard to see the focusing screen was by comparison. It just didn't have the crisp and snappy image quality of the Arca Swiss. The bellows focusing hood of the Ebony is no match for the Arca Swiss even with a sweater draped over it. Add the reflex hood to the Arca Swiss and the comparison pales further.

Secondly, after coming from the precise focusing and movements of the Arca Swiss, I found the Ebony to be quite sloppy. Turning the focusing knobs to move the rail any distance causes the locking knobs on the left side to tighten simultaneously thus requiring one to loosen them as one focuses. The highly acclaimed asymetric back tilt is indeed a nice feature, but I found it's adjustment to be a bit coarse as well. It detents in the neutral position and is a bit difficult to move initially. This would be an incredible feature if they could make it geared. For the premium Ebony charges for it, they certainly should.

The mirrored levels are a good feature but their location under the leather strap makes flipping the cover up a bit difficult. As someone else suggested, converting the strap to a metal handle would be an improvement.

I'm not trying to bash the Ebony. It's no doubt the best made wood field available. But for the exhorbitant price Ebony charges, I think it ought to be perfect and it isn't. Thanks to Jeff Taughner at Badger Graphics, I'm now in possession of a Linhof Master Technika 2000 traded for the Ebony.

Ebony Counterpoint

Any disappointments with the Linhof? I love hearing bad news about cameras I can't afford... ;-)

Ebony Counterpoint

I wouldn't really consider the focusing screen to be a problem with a particular brand of camera, since there are many aftermarket improvements that can be made in that department.

Octogenarian

Ebony Counterpoint

Hi Doug,

The Ebony line of cameras, especially the models that are made with the combination of ebony wood and titanium metal, are " as good as it gets" in the world of WOODEN flat-bed field cameras.

The Linhof Master Tech. is "top-of-the-line" in the world of METAL folding flat-bed field cameras.

There are wooden camera guys, and there are metal camera guys. I happen to prefer a wooden camera. After using several brands of 4X5 wooden field cameras, over a twenty year period, I switched to a metal Toyo 45AII. After using theToyo for six years, I realized that I prefered wooden cameras and returned to a wooden Ebony. It has nothing to do with the quality, features, or price of these cameras. The Ebony just feels better in my hands. A wooden handled tool feels better to me than a metal handled tool. I cannot explain the feeling in words.

It seems unfair to compare an Arca Swiss non-folding monorail with any type of flat-bed field camera, metal or wood. They are in a different class. Arca Swiss cameras are fine tools. They aren't inexpensive, either, but I wouldn't call their price exhorbitant.

Ebony Counterpoint

The "problem" is that not many photographers are lucky enough to have used both an Ebony and a Technika, much less an Arca-Swiss or one of the other fine high-end cameras. I always thought the wooden Ebonies were abit too "pretty" - made for rich retired folks rather than real photography (no offense). So it's nice to see someone let the air out of their sails (sales?)

Ebony Counterpoint

Seems to me if someone could get the quality of Arca or Linhof gearing into a wooden camera like the Ebony they would make a lot of sales!

Ebony Counterpoint

At the risk of incurring the (good natured) wrath of a local photographer friend, I'll admit here that I just purchased a used Master Technika that I should be taking posession of next week.

I currently own a Gandolfi Variant Level 3 wooden field camera. All things considered, it's an incredibly full featured camera, perhaps even more full featured than the high-end Ebony's. In short, it has every movement excluding asymetric tilts. Axis tilts, base tilts, shift, rise/fall, and axis swing, on both front and rear standard. Geared focusing as well. You could almost call it a field camera on steroids, or a monorail in disguise :-)

One of the great things about the Gandolfi is it's ability to work with wide-angle lenses - because you can focus using the rear standard, you do not need to tilt the camera (or drop the bed) to prevent vignetting from the front standard. It's not alone in this feature, but it's a great feature to have, and one I'll certainly miss with the MT. It also has upwards of 480mm of bellows draw - pretty incredible for a field camera.

As someone who primarily does landscape photography, it's overkill. I only use front rise, tilts (primarly base tilts), and occasionally some front shift and swing. All the other movements are not used; the added weight of the extra features just becomes a burden when hiking - never a good thing. It's also a large camera; it can even be modified to take a 5x7 back.

Regarding the wood-vs-metal debate, to me it doesn't matter. If the camera has the capabilities you need, and is rigid enough for your uses, then it's a good camera. The Gandolfi was more than rigid enough for my uses, and I know the MT will be more so. Metal, while missing out on the prettiness factor, is certainly more robust and able to take more than your average bump.

I used to own a Toyo 45AII, but the way the front swing/shift/focusing worked drove me nuts - only an insane person would try to apply all these movements with this camera, since they're all controlled by a single lock. In fact, trying to apply any of these movements was a difficult task. Bad design, IMHO. However, other than this nit, the AII is a very well built camera. A friend now owns it; in fact, he has two :-)

Why the Technika? Well, I think the fact that it's used by so many 'well known' photographers (I'm not going to get into the discussion about whether or not they're *good* photographers - down that path lies too much fire and brimstone) is a pretty good indication of the strengths of the camera. Sure, it doesn't have all the movements, and it can be a pain with wide angle lenses, but the workmanship, the 'lastability', and the rigidity of the camera are legendary. As I've gotten older, I've moved away from the 'buy cheap/buy often' mentality, and now tend to buy the best I can afford, and buy once. I've done it with my woodshop tools, and how I'm starting to do it with cameras.

I'm considering this my last field camera purchase. At least, until next time :-)

Octogenarian

Ebony Counterpoint

Frank,

Your statements are correct. Ebony cameras are, indeed, beautiful to behold. They are designed and manufactured by a very talented photographer named Hiromi Sakanashi. His LF photography is outstanding. I'm certain that he uses one of his own Ebony cameras to produce his photographs

I admit that I am one of those rich retired folks you refer to. I've been involved with photography for more than fifty-eight years, and I believe I've earned the privilege of owning an Ebony.

Perhaps some day you'll reach that stage in your life. It's a great place to be.

Octogenarian

Ebony Counterpoint

P.S.

The only thing this entire discussion proves is that there is no such thing as a perfect camera.

If there were such a camera, everyone who could afford one would own one, and the competition would be scrambling to build a less expensive imitation.

By the way, the Gandolfi line of cameras is in the same price range as the Ebony cameras.

Ebony Counterpoint

Eugene, you've pretty much nailed it. If weight and/or size wasn't an issue, anybody could build the perfect camera :-)

And I agree about the Gandolfi's - they are now as expensive as Ebony's - Gandolfi went through about a 20% price increase last fall. Ouch.