Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Film changing bag or tent...

Re: Film changing bag or tent...

Well from all the good advice given here, it looks that the tent clearly wins over the changing bag. I will put the Harrison tent on the gear to be acquired list, and will not spend money on a larger changing bag as I planned. On the positive side, the tent would serve to load/unload 4x5 film holders, and would also be used to load 120 film into the spirals and tank. Double use is always a good thing.

I have one of those KangRi tents and it works ok for 5x7 but a little cramped for 8x10. used it in broad day light with no light leaks, for the price it worked out good. Have used a Harrison tent think it was the jumbo so there was more room.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Has anyone seen, used or owned one of the Chinese rip-offs of the Harrison tent?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3S-KangRi...ht_5940wt_1042

I would love to order a Harrison tent but, as usual, the postage is prohibitive and adds another $150 to the price.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    Has anyone seen, used or owned one of the Chinese rip-offs of the Harrison tent?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3S-KangRi...ht_5940wt_1042

I would love to order a Harrison tent but, as usual, the postage is prohibitive and adds another $150 to the price.
    Yeah, I've got one of those (mine hasn't got all the embroidery for the name). It's light-tight and it does what it's supposed to do. I'm happy with it. I don't do 8x10 but It's got room inside to open up a book-form half plate wooden plate holder.

$150 shipping?????
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badger.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	80952

If I had plenty of room I would carry a tent, if backpacking I would carry a tent. One to sleep in too.

I just bought one of those KangRi tents, and it works very well. I had been using a Photoflex Changing Room that I'd bought from Petronio, and it worked well, too. But my wife packed sunscreen in a spray can in the same duffel--you see where this is going. Whatever propellant that stuff used took the silver lightproofing right off that Photoflex product.

The KangRi folds up nicely and is easy to erect. It's not as easy as the Photoflex, but it does a better job of providing floor space for laying out the film, box lids, empty holders, filled holders, etc., without accidentally turning it over.

Rick "who has not yet performed a light-proof test" Denney

You might also investigate a Fuji FDB-12 changing room. It is essentially a large changing bag that is supported by an exterior frame so it forms a cube about 2' on each side. It sets up in about 10 seconds and collapses in just a bit more. It is attached to a fiberboard (mdf?) base that folds in half,straps together, and has a handle for carrying like an attache. I've used other changing bags as well as the Calumet (Photoflex?) Changing Room, and have watched others use a Harrison tent. I'd pick the Fuji any day over them. They come up on ebay every once in awhile for $40-$50.

2'x2' isn't very much "floor" space if you're changing anything larger than 4x5 or maybe 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I have a Panavision changing bag and no complaints.
    If it was good enough for Panavision...
    Panavision gave me a changing tent after a show rented through them. It was a Harrison tent with Panavision logos on it.
    -Chris

Andrew "The RedSun"

Get both tent and bag. Use tent when you get a lot to do, or load large film. Use bag when you want something quick.
    They do not cost that much.