Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Follow Up on J&C Classic Films

Follow Up on J&C Classic Films

There was a thread recently about the availability of J&C Classic films. People were having trouble getting it. It was suggested that the maker was getting inundated with orders, but they were moving into larger facility and things were looking up, etc. What is the status? Is the stuff available now? Are people ordering straight from J&C? What about alternative suppliers? Thanks. -jb

I ordered 4 boxes of j&c classic 8x10 film yesterday evening. I recieved a email this morning that it had been shipped. Sounds liike they are back in business.

The alternative supplier currently is Jens Jensen at Jensen Optical (the seller and service agent for Durst enlargers) at (503) 846-1492. Same film better value. I posted the prices for Efke film on the Michael and Paula Smith web site under "Film". Jens offers a volume discount for ordering 8 boxes of film that is really great to take advantage of. I also like the fact that some of the ULF film that only comes in 10 sheet envelopes from J&C comes in 25 sheet boxes from Jens Optical.

I have no connection with Jensen Optical I am just passing information along pertinent with Jeffs post. With spring just around the corner, now is the time to stock up and get ready to collimate some light onto this marvelous product. Cheers!

I order some film about two weeks ago from J&C and have received it two days ago. I live in Canada and that is as fast as any other order that I have placed in the USA.

Kind Regards,

Michael, was your comparison against J&C for the single box price? I dont think it is fair that on one side you list the price per sheet for 8 boxes and on the other the price per sheet for 1 box. I am sure John would be willing to give a discount if you are buying 8 boxes, giving that it is almost a $1000 purchase.

I have no beef either way, but fair is fair...no?

I cannot disagree with you Jorge. Since J&C has not yet published quantity discounts, I cannot compare apples to apples with my prior post. When and if they do, I would love to compare these numbers.However, I can only go with the data that I know at this moment. Maybe someone can call J&C and get their quantity discount and post it here because I would want everyone to be treated honestly and fairly with a uniform quantity discount. That is the primary reason to publish it for all to see as Jens has done.

With 8x10, an 8 box order of 25 sheets per box from Jens Optical is not that big a deal - 8 x $45.12 = $356.96. Where I feel that the savings for me may be significant are the 12x20 PL100 in 25 sheet boxes. In this situation I would be highly motivated to put together a collective order.Hint Hint!

Cheers!

Michael. have you tried the Photowarehouse film and compared it to the PL100? I am tempted to get the J&C 200 film speed, once they have gotten their delivery problems settled, but I have a hard time justifying changing when I get 25 sheets of the photowarehouse film for $125.

IMO $5/sheet of 12x20 is a hard deal to beat.

I have some Photo warehouse film in my freezer that I am going to try shortly. I do like FP4+ and believe what others have told me that this film will have a very similar response to it. Clearly it is a marvelous film that stains well in pyro at a kicking price. However, the Efke films seem to have a density vs exposure relationship that virtually keeps the shoulder from flattening out. A very desirable characteristic for many photographic applications. Take a look at the Efke technical section on the J&C website and you can see what I mean. The films definately have a very soft emulsion and you have to exercise care against unintentional scratches, but that is a small thing relative to what the film can produce. I would recommend that you give it a try.

Cheers!

They are back in bussiness. I placed an order online this morning. Two hours later an email came on my telephone (some new technology) to let me know that the film had been shipped. How is that for service? I am amazed!

Are Efke 200 and J&C 200 the same thing? -jb