Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 tranny films

8x10 tranny films

I've been shooting 4x5 Velvia 50 almost exclusivly for some years now. It and I seem to get along with one another, with some issues of course.

It looks as though I MAY be landing an 8x10 soon, and knowing that black and white contacts, alternative processes, and 8x10 'roids are one the eventual horizon, I would like to start pretty close to home.

My choices seem to be Provia and the various Ektachromes.. Any thoughts from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated.

-j

8x10 tranny films

Jim

I have a belief that is entirely subjective - that for colour, the larger the format the less saturation you need.

Colour can get expensive in 8x10 and up (not sure how deep your pockets are). You can sometimes get deals on outdated 8x10 tranny film. Buy some, test to see if it needs a correction filter or iso adjustment (often, it would seem not to need much) and take it from there.

Personally I have never liked the look of Provia in any format and I don't seem to like some of the newer Kodak sheet films (E100G - I much preferred the 100s/sw). I find Astia very nice in 8x10 and I'm getting to like Portra and Fuji NPS print fims in 8x10 as well. And you can still try Velvia can't you if you really want to blow your eyeballs out? :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

8x10 tranny films

Velvia is available in 8x10?

-j

8x10 tranny films

BTW - I'd add it's getting harder and harder to find. B&H doesn't stock all the films available in 8x10 transparency. Freestyle doesn't seem to stock any 8x10 transparency any more. Sammy's lists most - not sure if , but yothey stock them. There are others aroundu are starting to fnd you have to hunt for it.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

8x10 tranny films

Way cool......and I assume Astia, too?

-j

8x10 tranny films

Velvia is available in 8x10? + Astia

Samy's lists them -whether they have them in stock or can get them is another questions - I can probably dig out some other places to try too

8x10 tranny films

I'm thinking my first twenty exposures are going to cost as much as the camera. :P

-j

8x10 tranny films

Thanks, Tim

8x10 tranny films

And I'm thinking that for ten sheets or so, blowing my eyeballs out is exactly where I want to start.

-j

8x10 tranny films

you could always try some old old Fuji 50D (goodness knows what it will be like...)

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=5281

try Adorama too for fresh film