Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: These portable credit-card processing doohickeys Square, Intuit whatchamacallit, etc.

Re: These portable credit-card processing doohickeys Square, Intuit whatchamacallit,

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan J. Eberle View Post
    Hey, I've got a BlackBerry Storm II.....What card-swipe options are there for BB users-- besides changing phones?
    I think "PayAnywhere" supports BB users, wait, their website only lists (1) 'Storm' device, and that's thru Verizon:

http://www.payanywhere.com/support/

-Dan

umop episdn

Re: These portable credit-card processing doohickeys Square, Intuit whatchamacallit,

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    exactly why I don't carry any cards in my wallet that contain an RFID chip. just (1) c/c, (1) debit card, and a few other things(library card, etc..) I specifically requested a non-rfid chip'd debit/credit cards when I had to get new ones. The young woman helping me asked me why, and I gave her the same reason as you've stated above, she readily agreed .

BTW, is there any way to fry(but not disable the magnetic strip) the RFID chip alone? So no damage to the rest of the card(so it can still be swiped like normal in a c/c reader?)

-Dan
    I wish I knew how to tell if my credit cards even have the RFID chips in them. Sometimes there is a label--one I noted has a suspicious printed logo of a dot and bars emanating from it but no other indicators or printed phrases saying as such. When I've asked my card company about my cards (the last time someone stole my information I asked about RFID chips) they couldn't give me an answer.

Try this Dan. http://www.idstronghold.com/Credit-C...es/products/5/ It's a metalized sleeve your cards fit into that prevents anyone from grabbing RFID info from a distance. It's a minor inconvenience to have to constantly slide cards in and out of them (I use these for mine) yet it is peace of mind.

Square

Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    A just-slightly off-topic question, I recently became Treasurer of a cooperative art gallery. I am stunned at the ridiculously high charges our credit card processor is charging. I wonder if these things are suitable for relatively low-volume brick and mortar stores? Any input will be appreciated.
    Dan- Square may work well for your gallery, but I think it needs to be linked to one specific email address. If the gallery has a phone (or ipad) that never leaves, you shouldn't have an issue. But, if there are different people manning the shop, at different times, with different phones, it may be an issue. Talk to Square. I found them very helpful when I had questions. I'm sure there's a work-around...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    A just-slightly off-topic question, I recently became Treasurer of a cooperative art gallery. I am stunned at the ridiculously high charges our credit card processor is charging. I wonder if these things are suitable for relatively low-volume brick and mortar stores? Any input will be appreciated.
    I dont see why not, they simply rock. Worth picking up an android or iphone to use with it!

I use square on my iphone and have no problems. 2.75% per transaction and the money in in the bank in short order. It's easy to manually enter a card number so I may stop using PayPal.