Thread: Dry Mounting...

Dry Mounting...

I just got a new (to me) used Technal Dry Mounting Press for what strikes me as a bargain-- $150 for the 12x15 size. It appears to work well, although I haven't done any testing with temperature to make sure the thermostat is accurate. I got it because I've been wanting a good way for mounting prints, I also print fiber prints and struggle with flatness, and it was a good deal.
    I have dry-mounted before, but it was using a friend's press and under his supervision; also, that was 10 years ago. Now I'm filled with questions! I'd love any advice or instructions that y'all have to offer. Specifically, here are my questions:
    <ul>
    <li>What is the basic process? I know the essence of "put the print on top of a mounting board with dry-mount tissue sandwiched in-between, and press;" I need more particular instructions. Do I place the print emulsion toward or away from the heat? What is the best way to protect the print during this process? Recommended temperatures for different papers?
    <LI>I've heard that I can use the press to flatten fiber prints; any recommendations for accomplishing this?
    <LI>Do I need release paper? It's fairly costly from what I've seen, and I've heard mention about alternatives. The salesman suggested I could even use a (paper) grocery bag instead of release paper-- anyone tried this?
    <li>Which prints do you mount? Only those going in frames? Every print, even if it is mounted "bleed" and will sit in your darkroom or office?
    </ul>
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave Karp

Dry Mounting...

Ed,

1. Preheat the press and tacking iron. Tack a piece of tissue to the back of the print using a tacking iron. Trim the excess tissue and any unwanted part of the print using a paper trimmer. Locate the print on the board and tack the print to the board with the tacking iron. Place the release paper over the print (some people wrap it around the print and board). I think this is an option. I mounted b+w fiber prints for several years without using release paper and it was never a problem. It may be different with color or RC. Sandwich the print and board between two clean pieces of 4 ply mat board. Before I invested in some release paper, I just used the sandwich directly on top and bottom of the print/board combo. Place the board in the hot press and use the handle to lower the platen to the print. After the appropriate time, remove the sandwich and place some weight on it for a minute or two so the bond can cool. Check the mounted print by flexing it to make sure it is attached. Reheat if necessary.

2. A couple of minutes at the same heat as for mounting sandwiched between two clean 4 ply boards.

3. See 1, above. I doubt that the grocery bag is archival quality paper.

4. I mount the prints I display, or expect to display, or sell, or give away as gifts. I save the extra copies of my prints in an archival box.

There was a good article about drymounting in an older issue of Photo Techniques. Old issues are available for sale.

Hope this helps.

Dry Mounting...

Dave's intstructions seem pretty good. Another trick to ensure the end result stays flat is to pre heat the mount board in the press to remove moisture before bonding the print. Also heat the print to dry it out before mounting. This keeps the mounted print/board from warping later. Use the temperature setting recommended by the dry mount tissue manufacturer. I assume you are talking about black and white fiber prints. RC and color prints need more care with special release paper and a lower temperature mounting tissue. Always try things out with a test print a few times until you get your workflow down.

Dry Mounting...

I use release paper that has been folded with the opening to the front. I then place a four ply mat board over the print that has been tacked to the mount board. Check for foreign matter because it can dent the print. I have used Seal Color Mount for years on black and white prints. Temp is important with any dry mount tissue. I keep my press temp at 190 degrees with Color mount. Too high a temp and the print will not adhere. Other tissues have different temperature requirements.

Dry Mounting...

Can one mount inkjet prints in the same manner? Does the heat have an adverse effect on the quality of the image?

Dry Mounting...

Jeff, I don't know what effect it has on permanence, but I have recently dry mounted several ink jet (dye based: Epson 820, Epson heavy weight matte paper)prints onto mount board with Seal Colormount tissue. It worked well and there were no visible changes to the image.

Dry Mounting...

When I'm just using the press to flatten prints as opposed to dry mounting I place the print face down on a piece of clean mat board, put the mat board and print in the press, and don't put anything on the back of the print. Then just lower the platen or whatever it's called onto the back of the print. This will flatten the print in about 15 seconds or less depending on the temperature and doesn't damage the print. By "flatten" I mean eliminate the wavy edges you get with most other methods of flattening fiber base paper. The paper will still curl and you'll have to put it underneath a phone book or some other weight in order to get it to lie flat if it isn't going to be mounted. It seems to me that the longer the print is in the press when being flattened, and/or the higher the temperature, the more severe the curling so I try to just leave it long enough to get rid of the wavy edges, which is about 15 seconds at 200 or so degrees for me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Dry Mounting...

I just wanted to let you guys know that I have had great luck with this small mount board company in Tacoma, WA called Pacific Mount they have a tech there who is helpful and knowledgeable about dry and heat activated mounting. However, I found their pressure sensative board gives me the best results it lays flat has sqaure corners and a smooth surface. Best of luck