Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why does the search function suck?

Re: Why does the search function suck?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    We try to keep the forum software "stock" because add-ons often have to be re-coded to work with version upgrades, bug fixes, and the like. To fund that level of on-going maintenance, we'd have to charge people to join/read the forum. That's not a road we want to go down.
    Coding a search box for Google site: search would be just about the easiest thing to do, HTML wise.
    I doubt it would cost a thing. I bet there are 20 posters here who could do it left handed, and for free.
    Even easier would be to just include a link to the Google site: search over on Google's site.

You update the forum code at most, what once or twice per year? Hardly Herculean.

Re: Why does the search function suck?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    Somewhere, possibly on this forum, I downloaded a search engine for Firefox that uses Google to search the Large Format Photography fora. It's probably doing the "site:" thing.

Attachment 80033

I found it. Here it is.
    Mark,
    Thanks for pointing that out. As an update and recommendation for other searchers: I have started using Firefox (instead of Safari) because of the search choices. Having a LFPF dedicated Google search window is da nuts! It sounds like Google Chrome has similar devices on that web browser. -Chris