Thread: How to approach galleries?

How to approach galleries?

Hello,

plan to come to NYC soon and will take the opportunity to visit some galleries for showing my work.

I work in color, my c-prints usually have a size of 24x35 (from 6x9cm) or 40x50 (from 4x5). Looking at 35mm slide duplicates or 8x10 prints makes it hard to imagine the impact of the original prints. Maybe I am too critical but to me these are only mediocre copies of the original.

How do you seasoned colleagues get around this problem? Do you lug your original prints around Chelsea or are galleries used to look at smaller prints and are able to imagine how the originals would look like?

Thank you very much Marek

People who look at photography are used to alot of things... A good presentation always looks good and shows you care for your work! Pick up the book "A Photographers Market Place" and look up the galleries in the area your going to for contact persons and what they use. Other than that, it is good common sense and careful planning for a visually pleasing presentation. Don't make it unweilding (to large prints) as they usually flip through them at their desks.

Most if not all galleries like, use and are used to 35mm slides. For portfolio review, that's about all they will look at. In person, you may convince them to look at prints, in that case have a portfolio box with hinge-matted 8x10 prints. "Photo Techniques" had an excellent article on portfolio presentation in the last year or so.