Thread: UK LF Workshop

UK LF Workshop

Just wondered if any forum contributors are planning on taking part in the forthcoming F32 LF workshop running May 6 - 9 this year?

UK LF Workshop

I thought I submitted a response, but I didn't check the thread afterwards, so maybe it didn't go through. Anyway, I saved it:

"I'm not sure such ads need to be so sneakily worded, Paul - the format of your last one seemed fine! I think the workshops are a bit overpriced (looking at total cost, including accomodation and food), and I know someone who went on one and wasn't very happy. Given the other similar workshops, at Inversnaid (I haven't been on it), and the hugely successful one with Light and Land (about which I had slight reservations, but I'd still encourage someone to consider it), I'm surprised they continue at the same location, with the same people, and at that price. Usual disclaimer - secondand experience etc, but it was enough to swing me against it."

UK LF Workshop

Paul, it is perfectly OK to announce the workshop in a normal manner. 1st: it is non-commercial (as I understand it, the proceeds go towards the F32 web site) and 2nd: even mention of commercial LF workshop events are now allowed in the forum.

My reasons for not considering attending are as suggested above: far too expensive (I can rent a two bedroom cottage in the Lake District for a week for that, off-season) and too restrictive in location... plus, my own preference for being alone, doing my own thing, might have some bearing...

You guys seems to have a love affair with Tintern Abbey. What about a week or long weekend in the Lake District? North Wales? Scotland? You can rent large 4 or 5 bedroom cottage(s) for a fraction of the cost of hotel accommodation - even set up a temporary darkroom for developing (& print if required). Out of season there is plenty of accommodation and far fewer tourists in the way. Autumn in the Lakes is beautiful as the colour of the leaves & heather turns. Pretty as the Wye valley is, it can't compete with the stacks of locations within a 30 minute drive of Winderemere or Ambleside (that's assuming you don't get stuck behind a caravan!)....

Cheers,

P.S. - no, I don't work for the Cumbria Tourist Board... ;-)

UK LF Workshop

Paul,

Thank you for the mention of the forthcoming f32 Large Format Workshop.

Bob, Yes, f32 is a Community of practive and non-profit making. Any proceeds from the workshops go towards the web site and seeding for future events.

We have now run a number of workshops and they have all been based at Tintern in South Wales. One of the reasons that the Wye Valley was chosen as a venue is that there are a huge number of photo opportunities in the surrounding area which include many wonderful examples of architecture and landscape.

Whilst based in Tintern, we have visited many different places in South Wales and they have been chosen for good reasons. It is good to have some variety for people who like to participate in subsequent workshops, however more importantly, the locations have been chosen to allow the demonstration and practice of a range of large format techniques.

Richard, you should really attend one of the workshops before passing judgement. We have had very complimentary feedback from previous participants, some of which has been kindly offered as testimonials for the web site. You can't please all people all of the time and I would welcome your friend to contact me so that we can ensure that any potential problems can be avoided in the future.

As for cost, I do feel that the fee is in the same ball park as other photographic workshops that are held in the UK. There are a number of
    alternative places to stay and eat that are inexpensive in Tintern.

I can't comment on other workshops as I haven't attended them, however I do feel that the f32 workshops offer good value for money and the standard of expertise is very high from the hosts. The f32 workshops are exclusively large format which is not true of many others.

Here is a comment I received by EMail a few days ago from someone who attended the last workshop:

"I see that you have a Spring workshop starting in May. I hope it goes well and you get a full attendance. If you need a reference for any likely
    attendees please feel free to pass on my email address. As the result of the
    workshop I had no camera technique failure on my US trip so I was really
    pleased with the result."

Anyway, I don't want to bore people with further accolades for the workshops. For anyone who is interested, full details of the workshop taking place on May 6 to 9 2004 can be found at the following URL:

f32 Large Format Workshop - May 6-9 2004 UK

All the best,

Clive Warren f32 Large Format Photography

UK LF Workshop

Clive

We've exchanged info on f32 before, and I certainly don't feel any dislike for you personally - your UK-centric knowledge (often lacking on the US sites) is often very helpful, but that has nothing to do with whether the services you offer are good value for money.

No, I don't have to attend a trip before passing judgement - we all discriminate between workshops, cars, suburbs, food items and anything else you'd care to name, based on the recommendations of people we trust (and perhaps all too often people we know nothing about) without first-hand experience - it's simply not practical to experience all products and services the world has to offer first-hand, so we need some way of short-listing them. I see no reason to proffer money on a service or product which has received criticism in which I have faith, just to allow for the possibility it was wrong. Recommendations also work for me - ntil recently I knew nothing of UK opportunities to develop skills in polaroid transfers, yet you were recommended as someone I might like to contact. In this different context, I may well do so!