Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd attempt at LF with my recently acquired Master Technika Classic

2nd attempt at LF with my recently acquired Master Technika Classic

I've been going through past threads and trying to learn as much as I can about the MT and am looking forward to learning and interacting more with the members here.

Well, I recently purchased a used MT that seemed to be in decent condition and now I'm not so sure. I found the thread about MT bellows light leaks and confirmed that my bellows is indeed leaking so I'm either going to have to repair it or get a new one and there appears to be two camps of thought on that. Chinese bellows from ecbuyonline and DIY vs Linhof OEM installed by Marflex.

The other possible issue that I noticed is that there is currently no rangefinder cam installed in the camera so the lever thing that usually holds the cam keeps springing to the left side. This makes it very difficult to push the lens standard all the way back into the body since the lever thing keeps getting in the way.

Some things that I'm hoping to get help with in light of all of this...

1. The bellows that is currently on my MT is incredibly thin. Is this how the original OEM Linhof bellows is supposed to be? If it is, then I'm a little concerned about buying another OEM bellows like it. How difficult is the installation a new bellows, particularly the ecbuyonline one. By the way, I noticed that the username on ebay that sells these bellows is currently ecbuyonline2008. Is this still "Rudy" or has some other person taken over and past reputation is moot. Someone mentioned the ecbuystore.net website in another thread and that currently points to a site that sells radio controlled helicopters???

2. I don't plan to use the rangefinder because I want to be able to use the 3rd door position and I prefer to focus on the ground glass, with a loupe if necessary. Without a cam in place the lens standard will not go back into the body unless I move the lever thing back to the middle and press down on it a little so that the bottom of the lens standard can clear it and slide back in. This is incredibly annoying to have to do this every time that I use the camera. Is this normal behavior for a MT without a cam installed? What are my options if I don't plan to use the rangefinder but I just want to be able to use the MT without the lever thing getting in the way?

Thanks for any and all info.

Steven

www.stevenwuphoto.com

Re: 2nd attempt at LF with my recently acquired Master Technika Classic

Steven: I can't help with the bellows issue, fortunately I have not had a leaker yet.

Regarding, the rangefinder cam, I had an old Technika III with a rangefinder and found the same problem. Like you, I always focus on the ground glass, so I disassembled and removed as much of the rangefinder apparatus as I could. No more interference and a bit of weight saved as well.

Where we may differ is, I modified the camera to suit my needs with no regard to affecting resale value. I later bought a Tech V and sold the III for less, I suppose than I could have with the rangefinder intact. So if resale value is important to you you may want to think things through before getting your toolbox out.

I can't tell you much about your MT Classic. I can tell you that I have a Linhof STIV made about 1960, with the original bellows. As of a week ago the bellows were still in excellent condition - I'd go with factory bellows for a replacement. I'd also leave the rangefinder intact.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Thanks for the quick replies!

E.Von, is your original bellows material really thin? Thanks again...

Temporary fix for the bellows... not a fix, but a workaround. If your bellows is not leaking gallons of light, attach your dark cloth to the back of the camera. Get under it and focus on the Ground Glass. Then after inserting your film holder, throw the dark cloth over the top of the camera, covering the bellows, but not obscuring the lens. Presuming the camera is set for the shot, pull the slide, trip the shutter, insert the dark slide. I've done this before. let the dark cloth drape down over the sides. The door of the camera will resist light from the bottom. I used one camera for about six months and never did get a replacement for the bellows. Did not have light leaks either.

Just add throwing the dark cloth over the bellows to your check list of things to do when taking LF pictures. In my case, it became such a habit, I often do it on camera's with good bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by f1point0 View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies!

E.Von, is your original bellows material really thin? Thanks again...
    Very thin leather, I give it a very light wipe with pure neat's foot oil every year or so. They won't take rough handling, but they do seem good for the forseeable future.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Get a 150mm or longer cam and leave it in the camera even if you never use the RF. That will keep the cam follower out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Very thin leather, I give it a very light wipe with pure neat's foot oil every year or so. They won't take rough handling, but they do seem good for the forseeable future.
    Wow! That's leather??? Talk about thin skinned

Thanks Kuzano for the dark cloth idea. Should hold me over until I can repair or get a new bellows.

Bob, thanks for the cam suggestion. Will I be able to use the 3rd door position with the 150mm or longer cam in place? Also, I might be sending this thing to Marflex for a CLA anyway and a new bellows. Can you PM me what the estimated cost would be to install a new bellows and general CLA. Forgive me if that last request is misdirected, but I can't seem to find current Marflex contact info and from reading all the other Technika threads, it appears that you are the man when it comes to Technika related stuff.

marflex@aol.com 252 652-4401. They are in NC.
    No, I cannot tell you what there charges are. That is between the user and Marflex. We have nothing to do with the service charges.

By the 3rd door do you mean drop the bed all the way down? If so you remove the cam before dropping the bed.