Thread: Greetings from Iowa

Greetings from Iowa

I've been a member of the forum for a while now (since March) but I was hesitant to introduce myself without any LF equipment/experience. All that has changed as of today. I've had a number of 4x5 negs in the fridge waiting to get developed for a couple months now and finally got around to developing one of them today. I didn't realize just how amazing the neg's would be from 4x5 compared to the 35mm I've done in the past, but holy hell! The neg isn't perfect by any means, I used the taco method and one of the corners looks like it might have been underdeveloped, but the couple I photographed appear to nice and sharp!

I can't wait to see what else the wonderful world of LF will bring!

About me:

I'm a 29 year old math/photo student at the University of Iowa, currently in my last year. I've been using most a dslr (nikon d50) for the last 5 years. Once I grow up I'd like to make a go at making some money by doing Photos (what a dream, eh?), but I'll be satisfied as long as I'm able to at least make photos for my own enjoyment.

Anyway, thank you all for participating and coming together to make this place a truly wonderful resource for those of us just beginning our journeys with our big cameras!

Re: Greetings from Iowa

Welcome!

My youngest daughter and her husband are working on doctorates at UofI. So I get out there a couple of times a year. I'll let you know next time I am headed out that way.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Welcome to the forum. I drove though Iowa once.

Welcome from 191 miles west along I-80 in Iowa. (I know the distance from the 8 years I spent in Iowa City 30 years ago.)

I appreciate the warm welcome!

Frank: Thank you, good sir!

Kirk: I really enjoy your work and would enjoy meeting such a distinguished photographer such as yourself.

Brian: Thank you, and Iowa doesn't seem like much but it really has some beautiful scenery and most of the people are fairly friendly.

AF-ULF: Always nice to meet a fellow Iowegian, drop me a line if you ever get over this and would like to meet up for some coffee and camera talk.

Greetings from Des Moines. I was beginning to think that I was the only one doing LF in Iowa! Lots of wonderful landscapes to capture near IA City. Have fun.

J

We've been doing some rain dances. . .doesn't seem to be working too well. :-(

Welcome. I'm at the University myself. Have not been too active on this board the last year or two due to other demands but am always happy to talk photography.
    Cheers, DJ

Quote Originally Posted by t0aster View Post
    I've been a member of the forum for a while now (since March) but I was hesitant to introduce myself without any LF equipment/experience. All that has changed as of today. I've had a number of 4x5 negs in the fridge waiting to get developed for a couple months now and finally got around to developing one of them today. I didn't realize just how amazing the neg's would be from 4x5 compared to the 35mm I've done in the past, but holy hell! The neg isn't perfect by any means, I used the taco method and one of the corners looks like it might have been underdeveloped, but the couple I photographed appear to nice and sharp!

I can't wait to see what else the wonderful world of LF will bring!

About me:

I'm a 29 year old math/photo student at the University of Iowa, currently in my last year. I've been using most a dslr (nikon d50) for the last 5 years. Once I grow up I'd like to make a go at making some money by doing Photos (what a dream, eh?), but I'll be satisfied as long as I'm able to at least make photos for my own enjoyment.

Anyway, thank you all for participating and coming together to make this place a truly wonderful resource for those of us just beginning our journeys with our big cameras!

You might consider joining the online forum of a group of Midwest photographers from Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana. They meet once a month and often times on the western side of Illinois or Chicago - the third Saturday of each month. They are a fun group and extremely talented. In January they meet and have a show of their prints - try to get there at this time.

http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/

Jackie