Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bumping in the Classifieds

Re: Bumping in the Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That, and all the "I only wish I had money right now" or "great price; someone should buy this fast" or "overpriced; seller is trying to rip people off" kinds of posts. I'm ambivalent about the "I like this person so here is a free bump" types of bumps.
    Agreed!

For sale posts should be made by the seller, questions should be sent and responded to by private message. No other comments necessary.
    No clutter, less bandwidth etc.

There are different sides and shades of grey in everything. Sometimes third party comments or discussion can be helpful or interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    There are different sides and shades of grey in everything. Sometimes third party comments or discussion can be helpful or interesting.
    Indeed. I think it strange that a buy/sell forum works in ways contrary to capitalism. The free flow of information is vital to price setting, etc. Yet it is the most constrained part of the LFF in terms of what you can and cannot say! Information is tightly restricted to whatever benefits the seller.

But we've already had this debate. I lost. That's o.k.

--Darin

If a certain entities are given free unrestrained unlimited television advertising then they'll completely take over the network selling their wares. There will be no useful enjoyable entertainment.

I notice a few things, even in my dotage.

I notice when some of us 'give a bump or affirmation' to a sale here, it suddenly sells. Is that bad?

As a 'High Poster' and 'Reader' of much here, I have noticed my influence has increased some sales.

I think some here want people like me to shut up and leave the forum to their voice.

The sales part of this forum is very useful in education, promoting LF in general and provides sellers, some of whom will not use eBay, a way to sell 'bargains' to newbies or acquisitive members like me.

A few vocal members would prefer only they are heard and the rest of us 'research silently in the background' while they offer 'expert' advice as they see fit. Baloney.

A stilted conversation and a limited public forum would be the result of further restrictions to a free exchange of on topic, off topic, drifting topic and equipment sales.
    Tin Can

There can nearly always be 'too much of a good thing'.

I guess it was broken or became more brokener as now it seems 3 days is far too generous and regarding mods having better things to do and all they certainly can tell 6 days from 7 but gets screwy once you have to decide whether chicken or egg came first
    in that instance its always easiest just to delete

You'd think in terms of keeping a friendly non confrontational spirit around a forum you'd let 6 days pass for 7 or at most send a pm to please keep it to a minimum of 7 days prior to bumping

Eh
    You're right
    Let's just delete
    Easier

Bumping in the Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    I guess it was broken or became more brokener as now it seems 3 days is far too generous and regarding mods having better things to do and all they certainly can tell 6 days from 7 but gets screwy once you have to decide whether chicken or egg came first
    in that instance its always easiest just to delete

You'd think in terms of keeping a friendly non confrontational spirit around a forum you'd let 6 days pass for 7 or at most send a pm to please keep it to a minimum of 7 days prior to bumping

Eh
    You're right
    Let's just delete
    Easier
    We can all count on a calendar, I'm happy with the new bumping rules, and I'm selling a lot of stuff right now, I would love to bump more but I also see the value in waiting and not clogging the feed.

I'm really liking the new deleting moderation, it's actually much less confrontational and seems to be shaping the forum into a much nicer place than it had been over the past year.

Just say "whoops, I goofed up the date, hah!" to yourself, and bump it tomorrow. No big deal.

I don't sell much on forums anymore, preferring eBay. However, I think the new anti-bumping feature is a good one.

Old School Wayne