Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Galvin 4x5 cameras were made?

Re: How many Galvin 4x5 cameras were made?

I bought a new 4X5 Galvin from Ed at his shop on Aurora in Seattle (nostalgia for older Puget Sound area folks) I suppose in the 1980s. I never got along with it very well. Always seemed a bit shaky, but it certainly was light weight. I had a Linhof 4X5 Color at the time so it was tough for the Galvin to be compared to that as to sturdiness. I'm pretty sure I sold the Galvin to someone in Spokane, and he resold it. So if anyone has a 4X5 that came from Spokane, that is likely the same camera. I have no idea what the serial number may have been, although I got it soon after seeing mention in Shutterbug or somewhere of the 4X5 version so it may have been an early one. It was one of the few cameras I ever bought new. The other 3 or 4 were all 35mm.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    As an update, I went through my gear prior to selling off some of my spares, and my "parts" 4x5 Galvin is s/n 101x (in addition to 104x and 106x). While this is only educated conjecture, it seems that production likely began at s/n 1000 or 1001 and ended with less than 100 of the 4x5 model being made.
    I know this is a long-dormant thread, but I just had occasion to look at my Galvin 45 and it's stamped with Serial No. 1077.

Strangely, my 2x3 Galvin doesn't have any serial number stamped on it.

Drew Wiley

Jim Galvin lived in Sacramento, CA. In his older years he had a small machine shop at his residence and made custom lensboards etc for photographers. Very nice fellow. There's an early View Camera article on his earlier camera venture - basically an attempt to
    make a simplifed camera he personally wanted, then produced in multiples afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Audii-Dudii View Post
    I know this is a long-dormant thread, but I just had occasion to look at my Galvin 45 and it's stamped with Serial No. 1077.
    My 4*5 is stamped with 1064, but John knew that since I bought mine from him, while not as sturdy as my Linhof Color it's way up compaired to the Gowland I had before. The Galvin makes my lightweight set when hiking or biking.

Best,

Cor