Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh my...what have I gotten myself into? Korona 8x10 advice needed

Oh my...what have I gotten myself into? Korona 8x10 advice needed

Hey everyone!

After about a year and change playing with 4x5, I had an opportunity to take home a Korona 810-K wooden view camera. It has geared focusing on both standards, socket to accept a set of rails on the back, and folds up nice and neat. It has a turner-reich 12"/25" f/7 convertible, the glass of which is pretty much toast. The Betax No. 4 shutter works on T and B, and fires at all other speeds, though always at approx. 1/25th, never slower or faster no matter what it's set to. The bellows are soft and plyable but stink awfully, and the wood is pretty good all around. The focusing movement is loose, probably needs lube and some thigns adjusted. One of the spring tabs that holds the back on is broken.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I a moron for paying $300 for this thing?

2. How can I get the smell out of it?

3. Any reccomendations on what to do with the lens/shutter? Should I look for another copy, or go with something Moderne?

4. Any chance I can find parts...E.G. the spring clip for the back and the rear rail set...somewhere?

Answers and comments appreciated.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Re: Oh my...what have I gotten myself into? Korona 8x10 advice needed

I once owned the 4x5 version ans wish I hadn't sold it. The 8x10 should easily be worth your price, especially if the lens can be returned to service. I've got the same lens and have some fine results from it, so I would say it's worth the additional investment.

I suggest you contact Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com. She is fabulous on old shutters and depending on the problems with the glass, may be able to clean that up as well. She is also extremely reasonable on price for a CLA.

As to the odor, leave it open without the back or lensboard to air it out and maybe try something like Febreeze. I've had that work well on some really awful pet odors, so maybe it will help with this.

The extension rails might be found on the bay and the back clip might also, although I think you might find a good machinist to make one.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    Hey everyone!

After about a year and change playing with 4x5, I had an opportunity to take home a Korona 810-K wooden view camera. It has geared focusing on both standards, socket to accept a set of rails on the back, and folds up nice and neat. It has a turner-reich 12"/25" f/7 convertible, the glass of which is pretty much toast. The Betax No. 4 shutter works on T and B, and fires at all other speeds, though always at approx. 1/25th, never slower or faster no matter what it's set to. The bellows are soft and plyable but stink awfully, and the wood is pretty good all around. The focusing movement is loose, probably needs lube and some thigns adjusted. One of the spring tabs that holds the back on is broken.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I a moron for paying $300 for this thing? No

2. How can I get the smell out of it? Fabreze?

3. Any reccomendations on what to do with the lens/shutter? Should I look for another copy, or go with something Moderne?All T-Rs I've seen are pretty much toast. Don't worry about it, It'll be just fine
    4. Any chance I can find parts...E.G. the spring clip for the back and the rear rail set...somewhere?Sure, eBay, or swap meets

Answers and comments appreciated.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I once owned the 4x5 version ans wish I hadn't sold it. The 8x10 should easily be worth your price, especially if the lens can be returned to service. I've got the same lens and have some fine results from it, so I would say it's worth the additional investment.

I suggest you contact Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com. She is fabulous on old shutters and depending on the problems with the glass, may be able to clean that up as well. She is also extremely reasonable on price for a CLA.

As to the odor, leave it open without the back or lensboard to air it out and maybe try something like Febreeze. I've had that work well on some really awful pet odors, so maybe it will help with this.

The extension rails might be found on the bay and the back clip might also, although I think you might find a good machinist to make one.
    If I had any hope of fixing the lens, I'd send it off. The cement between the elements looks ronnied, it's not just on the surface. I'll inquire, though.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

$300 for almost any functioning 8x10 field camera seems like a good deal to me. I don't know about the smell. I'd get a modern lens for it. I don't know about parts but you could always check with Richard Ritter and see what he might be able to make for you and at what cost.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Can you include photos of the lens elements and of the broken back clip?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Photos:

The camera itself:

IMG_3270 by unixrevolution, on Flickr

IMG_3267 by unixrevolution, on Flickr

IMG_3266 by unixrevolution, on Flickr
    Please, call me Erik.

The broken clip:

Broken Tab by unixrevolution, on Flickr

Good Clip:

Good Tab by unixrevolution, on Flickr

Lens Cells, front, then back:

IMG_3276 by unixrevolution, on Flickr

IMG_3275 by unixrevolution, on Flickr
    Please, call me Erik.

Balsam seperation on the lens---very typical of T-Rs---see what to does anyway, you might enjoy the Sally Mann look!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Balsam seperation on the lens---very typical of T-Rs---see what to does anyway, you might enjoy the Sally Mann look!
    The lens and shutter works enough for me to play with it, so I intend to do just that, at least for a little while! I do plan to either restore the T-R, buy a more modern piece of glass, or both eventually.
    Please, call me Erik.