Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stitching 4x5s on a Mac

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

I've been growing frustrated by wide angle lenses - not so much their distortion, but by their POV with looming foregrounds, tiny distant backgrounds, etc. I've owned a Noblex, which is better but not a complete answer. What I think I really like best is stitching several 4x5s shot with "normal" lenses. So far I've only used Photoshop, working carefully, and avoiding difficult subjects like overlapping brick walls. But has anyone found anything better than doing it by "hand"? Especially a Mac OSX solution?

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

I don't think the problem is the POV of the wide angle lenses. If you stitch together two 4X5s taken with a 150mm lens it is the same as cropping a panorama from an 8X10 taken with a 150mm lens - which is a very wide angle lens. I think the view you want is on the ground glass with a 90mm lens. It just happens to be a 6X12cm slice out of me middle. That might not leave you with enough negative to enlarge to your chosen print size but the framing possibilities are there.

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

I agree with Edward.

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

To answer your question, there are a large number of panorama stitching packages, and any of them are probably better than just using Photoshop. Look at www.panoguide.com for a start. I've stitched 4x5s using Panavue Image Assembler. Like the other programs I've tried, it can be made to work well with enough effort.

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

you likely already know this, but shifting only the back standard and not the lens will help a lot

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

Edward, Stitchng two 4x5's together will give a slightly different look than a 4x10 or 6x12 image. Remember that when making 2 4x5's you rotate the camera.

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

Exactly. Stitching images taken by rotating the camera using panorama software will yield the same cylindrical projection as a noblex, and can produce horizontal angles of view beyond the < 120 degrees possible with rectilinear perspective.

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

Frank, Photoshop CS (8) for Mac OS X has automatic stitching built in. I have used it once or twice for putting together an image that was too large to scan in one piece. It worked pretty well.

stitching 4x5s on a Mac

I stand corrected. I read several as two because I could never imagine going wider than that. I don't think it is possible to get the same angle of view as 3 4X5s stitched with a single frame. Anyone got a 150mm lens that will cover 11X14?

Doug Dolde

Re: stitching 4x5s on a Mac

I've been doing this some with my Arca Swiss. +/- 50mm back shift does the trick. I can't get 1:3 (unless I crop some) but more like 1:2.25. If I could shift a bit more there's still enough space for a wider image. Here's one done with an Apo Symmar 210mm. Near John Day Oregon. This is a bit rough...will likely get them drum scanned later. I use Panavue Image Assembler. Handles large 16 bit files and very automatic. I had to dodge the sides due to light fall off.

Last edited by Doug Dolde; 8-Jun-2006 at 23:01.