Thread: Hello from Colorado

hopeful

Hello from Colorado

Hello. I just joined. I don't have a LF camera yet, but I hope to soon. I hope I don't ask annoying questions. I'll probably just lurk for a while as I try to figure out what I should get, what I can afford, and make sense of it all.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Hello from Colorado

Welcome! The front page has lots of good information on it, and there's plenty of threads about what camera to buy, and tips on makeshift darkrooms, like bathrooms (what I use) and closets. You don't need to spend a lot to get started, and there are lots of good LF cameras for under $200. Years ago I bought a Graflex Super Graphic, and I'm still using it. So you can make a good choice for a first camera.

So what brings you to the dark slide of photography, where cameras look like accordions?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

hopeful

Thanks Brian!

I'm drawn to "the look" that larger formats provide, where wider angles of view and longer focal lengths combine to make a very dynamic image. (For example, assuming that 72/75mm on 4x5, 24mm on full-frame digital, and 12mm on micro-4/3 all give the same view angle, they vary greatly in compression due to the focal length.) I'm also drawn to the technical movements to correct distortion, and the ability to retain detail at higher print sizes.

I had a tilt-shift lens a couple of years ago and quickly learned the value of technical movements. I've shot many different digital formats, from compacts up to medium format, and I'm convinced that bigger capture formats make better images (for what I want to shoot). I want to start with 4x5 because of lighter weight and film being a bit easier to find, but I wouldn't be surprised if 8x10 becomes attractive to me shortly.

Thanks for the advice on the Graflex, I am cautious about spending too much right out of the gate, and that sounds like a great price. I'm concerned about the weight and the limited movements, though. Am I wrong on those concerns? And why would a Super Graphic need a battery? I was browsing online last night and have my eye on two wooden field cameras, the Chamonix 045n-2 and the Shen-Hao PTB45. They seem lighter and more capable than the Graflex, but cost a bit more. I'm excited to dive into large format photography, but I don't want to make a rash decision so I'm trying to shop carefully.

Cheers!

Eric Biggerstaff

Welcome to the forum Kev.

Don't worry about asking questions, the majority of the group are very supportive and helpful. Colorado has a very large and active LF community with people in all corners of the state who are forum members. Visit often and by all means, get a camera! There are many to choose from both new and used, my current favorite is over 100 years old and keeps on working just fine! Your first camera is rarely your last, but get one that you are excited about and be willing to put a lot of film through it in order to learn. LF photography has a learning curve but if you stick to it, in no time it will seem second nature.

Have fun and visit often.

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

hopeful

I give up. Fuji is killing Velvia in 4x5 and Kodak is gone. That's pretty much it for large format slide film. Negative film just isn't worth it for me, horrible to work with and scan.

I'd love to shoot Velvia in 120 if I could find a 6x12 system at a decent price, but prices are still very very high (for me). If I had crazy money to just throw at any object I desire, sure, I'd get into 6x12 shooting, but the funds aren't there.

I envy everyone who's already set up to shoot LF, but it seems unreasonable to enter this format in these final days. Such a shame.