Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod Help!

Tripod Help!

I just acquired my first 4x5 camera, a Toyo G with a Schneider Symmar 210mm, but I don't really have a tripod to slap it onto. Unfortunately, I'm on a rather tight budget, so I can't exactly go out and buy an expensive, big name tripod. What are your recommendations for a wallet friendly, sturdy tripod that I can either buy new or used?

Thanks!

Widows and Orphans Beware

Re: Tripod Help!

What is your budget? Is weight a factor? Are you shooting in a studio or outdoors. Will you be taking it on hikes or no more than 15 feet from your car?

I would like to spends less than $150 on it. Weight is a consideration, but if it was a trade off for price vs weight, I'd probably deal with potentially lugging around a few extra pounds. I like to think I would be using it outdoors, but there's a very high chance I'll probably shoot it in studio about 80% more often.

One of the best tripods you can buy at any price is the Majestic. Built like a tank, and would likely support one.
    The head has geared tilt which is awfully nice for leveling the camera. The tripod platform has three levels for setting it up.

They're not particularly expensive (and unfortunately relatively uncommon in the used market).

The Majestic was made in Chicago, and is still in production although I'm not sure of the current manufacturer.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Mister Sith,

Where do you live? Recommendations would be easier to make, if one knew where you are located.

Yeah, Majestic and air cushioned old Tiffen (can't remember who is making them later..) ones - you can get on Ebay for like 75$ with head (not ball or quick connect, but rather huge platform one) and they are just awesome - can hold a wee tank and wont budge, and provide enough flat surface for camera.

Other option is to check survey tripods..

Better to err on the large and heavy side, which tend to be reasonably priced used. Perhaps post a "WTB" ad here for a metal Gitzo with a pan-tilt head or an equivalent Manfrotto (Bogen)? Lots of people upgrade and will help you out if you are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by joselsgil View Post
    Mister Sith,

Where do you live? Recommendations would be easier to make, if one knew where you are located.
    I'm based out of the Bay Area in California.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Yeah, Majestic and air cushioned old Tiffen (can't remember who is making them later..) ones - you can get on Ebay for like 75$ with head (not ball or quick connect, but rather huge platform one) and they are just awesome - can hold a wee tank and wont budge, and provide enough flat surface for camera.

Other option is to check survey tripods..
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into these! Are there any specific models that I should hunt for?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Better to err on the large and heavy side, which tend to be reasonably priced used. Perhaps post a "WTB" ad here for a metal Gitzo with a pan-tilt head or an equivalent Manfrotto (Bogen)? Lots of people upgrade and will help you out if you are nice.
    Thanks for the tip! I would do that, but I believe there's a waiting period until I can access that part of the forum!

Also, I've been looking around on BHP and the likes, and I found a few tripods. I've been looking for a set up that is capable of holding 18lbs (which I'm assuming is a safe bet for how heavy this camera rig shall be). I found a set up with a Benro A1580F legs with a Smith and Victor BH2 Ball Head. Is this rig strong enough to bear the loads that a 4x5 view camera will put on it? Or are there criteria that tripods need to meet for a 4x5 monorail?
    Thanks to everyone for the responses!

I have several tripods, light and heavy, but almost always use an old Tiltall for 4x5 and smaller cameras. I'd still be using one bought second-hand almost 40 years ago if I hadn't lost it. It was replaced with two more, one for the car and one for the house. Some Tiltalls were recently made overseas, and may not have the quality of those named Marchioni, Leitz, or Star D. Unlike many cameras, a good tripod is a lifetime investment. It doesn't have to be new when you buy it; it certainly won't be new if you ever retire it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Sith View Post
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into these! Are there any specific models that I should hunt for?
    "Floating Action Model B Tripod With Head Davis & Sanford" is one i got. But i had even larger tiffen's head for it, so i swapped original head that came with mine (it actually would work fine for 4x5, but i wanted to use it for modified 8x10 with really heavy lenses, so i needed something with large platform). Its great, and i even had it out on 1-2 hour hikes, over shoulder, to see if i am ok with it - and i am (that + 8x10 Korona + lenses + 8 holders + water... but i am very stubborn).

They also got model A which is higher a bit, i think, but B works just fine, unless you need to shoot over high fences.