Thread: Cable release

Cable release

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to LF and at the moment have a rodenstock 135mm f5.6 Sironar N and Rodenstock Geronar 210mm f6.8 (on the way) and lots of questions. Just wanted to find out opinions on the following cable releases:

Nikon AR-3
    Threaded, 12 inches long, can be found for less on ebay, but link:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...e-Release.html

Hama
    https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=1837

What is the purpose of the lock on the Hama one? Is it advantagous or neither here nor there?

Any opinions on relative strengths of either?

Thanks

Graham

Re: Cable release

The locks are for the B setting on shutters. You press the cable and fire the shytter and it locks open, on release it closes.

Save your cash I pick them up for £1 a piece at Camera fairs, they tend to get lost easily when out shooting, I carry 4 or 5. I prefer the lighter weight ones there's less tendency to cause camera shake.

Silverprint or RK Photographic are good sources for new cable releases in the UK.

Ian

The AR3 is nice to use, but 12 inches would be very short for LF - that is just about enough for behind-the-camera operation on a Nikon, as cable releases feel rough and wear out soon if bent too sharp.

I use a 1m long one with the regular (65-240mm) field configuration of my Sinar, and switch to a even longer pneumatic release for macro use and longer lenses.

A lock/brake is required on all shutters without a T setting, to be able to compose and focus without permanently pressing the release. As just about all of us eventually ended up with a lens with that handicap (notably the affordable f/8 Super Angulons in 0-size shutter), it is more than just nice to have...

I would recommend getting your releases straight from Gebr. Schreck: http://www.xn--drahtauslser-djb.com/ESITE/ - pretty much every quality release sold by camera makers seems to be made by them.

Sevo, a T setting shutter doesn't need a locking cable release as the firts time you trip the shutter opens it and you need to trip the shutter again to close it.

Ian

But as I said, a shutter without T does...

I have had generic ones fail on me multiple times. The throw gets cut short out of the blue and it won't fire certain shutters. So far the Gepe Pro red is the best I've used. Long throw and so far it is sturdy and strong.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams