Thread: Workshop in New Brunswick

Workshop in New Brunswick

Has anyone taken the Atlantic Canada Large Format Workshop. The instructors are David Hoyt and James Wilson. I've been to there sites and like there work but don't know anything about them as instructors. From a search of the net I've found out that it's only been running since 2001. I'm looking for somthing extra to combine with a vaction to the Maritimes. Thank you.

I have not never James, but we have several mutual acquaintances, and they speak very highly of him and his work. His 8x10 portrait work was the subject of a cable TV photographic show episode about 18 months ago (Foto, by Maurice Henri), and his personal and commerial work is of an excellent calibre. David is well known as a camera collector, and is sure to have a historical bent on the whole large format thing. I would give James a call about the workshop, and see if what he is offering is what you are looking for.

Eric Boutilier-Brown Moncton, NB, Canada

http://www.evolvingbeauty.com

Eric, have you ever considered setting up formal workshops? Also, I am sorry that I missed that episode of Foto. I just started watching about a month ago. I watch it while I am riding my exercise bike.

Edward, I had thought of presenting a large format workshop through Carsand-Mosher (where I already give a series of weekend workshops), but given that one is already being given in NB, I wouldn't want to dilute the waters by dividing the audience. There are so few large format photographers that offering two workshops in such a regional location would probably do more hard than good. Also, given how closely tied my large format work is to black and white, it would be difficult to do a workshop without some form of darkroom work, which creates some serious logistical problems.

Eric Boutilier-Brown
    Moncton, NB, Canada

http://www.evolvingbeauty.com

The next thing I need to learn to do is contact prints. I will likely muck about in the dark til I figure it out. After that, tray development. I could do both at the same time but I prefer baby steps - plus if I can get good prints out of lab processed negatives it will make things alot easier on me for now.

Edward, do you have a darkroom, or access to one? If not, you best bet might be to take a basic dakroom couse at the Art College; they would be more than happy to help you with your 4x5 work, though I suspect you might have to go through hoops to get them to help you with the actual fil processing, but talk to them, and see what can happen. If you do have room for a darkroom, contact me off-list, as I know of someone in Halifax looking to move (for very reasonable prices) a complete darkroom, including semi-functional 4x5 enlargers.

Eric Boutilier-Brown Moncton, NB, Canada www.evolvingbeauty.com