Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yosemite in the news---very sad.

Re: Yosemite in the news---very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I'm watching a TV programme at the moment which is about the serial killings that happenned in Yosemite at the end of the last century. I had not known about this before today.
    Which ones? I assisted on the Foresta investigation ( I probably should post anything about it though!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Which ones? I assisted on the Foresta investigation ( I probably should post anything about it though!)
    Cary Stayner was the killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    Cary Stayner was the killer.
    He was an employee at a motel in El Portal and had access to the master keys IIRC. A very tragic crime.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

It was a very convoluted story, John. There was a group of meth-heads in Longbarn which
    were already under suspicion and one of them took a shot at a cop in Modesto, so this put
    the FBI on the wrong trail completely for quite a while. They were even going to try them. Then another Yosemite victim turned up - a young female ranger, and they started looking closer to the Park. Cedar Lodge became a synomym for Bates Hotel. It was constantly in
    the news around here. So is the hanta thing - last nite they reported visitation to Yos
    Valley was down 20% compared to typical years, will lots of folks cancelling Curry Village
    reservations.

FWIW I noticed on the Delaware North site that they are looking to hire an assistant manager at Curry.

Drew Wiley

A third person just died from Curry Village hanta, out of eight known cases so far.

Fortunately, periodic rockfall from GP continues to obiterate more and more of those filthy CV canvas tenting eyesores. It's all part of a cycle, you see.

And the last big flood took care of many of the employee ones...so they built a shanty town in a parking lot behind the post office.

Two more Hanta virus deaths reported. One of the souls reportedly stayed at the High Sierra Camps and wasn't in Yosemite Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    And the last big flood took care of many of the employee ones...so they built a shanty town in a parking lot behind the post office.
    Vaughn, I thought most of the employees were now billeted in the newer permanent structures between Camp Curry and Camp 16?