Thread: An opportunity to shoot aircraft cockpits!

An opportunity to shoot aircraft cockpits!

One of my favorite places to shoot is Castle Air Museum in Atwater, CA, with an impressive static display of really cool old millitary aircraft. I found out that they're having an open cockpit day Sunday, 30 May 04. If anyone shoots a handheld lf(like a speed graphic) this might be a unique opportunity. Some of the aircraft scheduled to be open are: F-4, RB-36, F-106, Vulcan bomber(british---remember the James Bond movie "Goldfinger?") FB-111, R5D, C-46, etc... Admission is $10 for adults, $8 for seniors & youth(12-17), $4 for children(6-11) Anyway, it sounds like fun. Their website is www.elite.net/castle-air and nope, I have no connection with the place.-------Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John

In the spirit of truth, honesty, correct information and good trivia, wasn't the Vulcan bomber in Thunderball?

Seriously, this sounds like a great event!

Regards,

John Bailey

wfwhitaker

Oh! You mean with cameras!

John, this is the first time in my life that I'm wishing I was in California. Yes, the Vulcan was in "Thunderball" and is very rare in the USA. The RB-36 is extremely rare also (and extremely large). I wonder if it is the one that was salvaged from Alaska several years ago? Its still one of the largest aircraft ever built.

Sorry for the brain fart! Yes, the Vulcan was in Thunderball---there was even a musical score named for it on the lp soundtrack, as I recall. (Goldfinger had the spiffy Rolls Royce and tricked out Aston Martin!) FWIW, the 'dorff and I were at Castle today and met the gentleman who led the crew in the restoration of the RB-36. I don't know if its the one from Alaska, but I was told it arrived in pieces and filled several railroad cars. -------Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Time for that ultra-wide-angle lens. There's not much room in any aircraft cockpit (or "flight deck" as they're called on the big planes).

My favorite old large plane was always the Lockheed Constellation. :-) They used to have one sitting at Anchorage International for awhile. Now, I get to look at the Concorde as I drive past Boeing field in Seattle.