Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any LF Photographers in Northern CA (Santa Rosa area)?

Al in NC

Any LF Photographers in Northern CA (Santa Rosa area)?

I'm new to Cotati, just south of Santa Rosa and 45 minutes north of SF. The local camera club is 100% digital. I'm also new to LF, and would be delighted to meet other LF photographers in my area.

Re: Any LF Photographers in Northern CA (Santa Rosa area)?

Come join us at a meetup one of these days.

http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers

Quote Originally Posted by mossbloom View Post
    I'm new to Cotati, just south of Santa Rosa and 45 minutes north of SF. The local camera club is 100% digital. I'm also new to LF, and would be delighted to meet other LF photographers in my area.
    Hi there. I live in Petaluma, just down the road.

Drop me a line....

Lenny
    707-763-5922
    eiger@eigerstudios.com
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I'm in Healdsburg, about 40 min. north.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Hope you find the people you are looking for. I have come rather discouraged with photo clubs as a way to meet the need for people of like minds to help each other, particularly on anything outside of digital. Glad to hear there are still specific groups as for LF and film. The general run of community photography clubs seems to be moving to digital.

Not meaning to hijack the OP thread, but I think this is a pertinent discussion to a sad testament about Photography Clubs for general photography.

Unfortunately, it seems the politics of Photo Club Gatherings tend to push a lot of clubs to primarily digital offerings. Short times on submissions, and the move to want to project digital images on competitions onto a screen.

Some (perhaps many) clubs have done away with competitive judging and critiques on hanging submissions. In our community of 85,000 population, the advent of digital has grown the club to a very active membership well over 100 members. But LF, MF and hanging photographs have pretty much been stomped into non-submission (or read submission here). A handful of that relatively large group may still shoot film.

The politics in the club moved into a "nasty" place and I walked away. I keep hearing this about other clubs as well.

This club also no longer does the annual weeklong treks into the Steens Mountains Canyon area that used to derive much new work presented to the club. In fact most advertised outings are done as seminars, which benefit just a few members of the club financially. Those people also seem to be shooting digital now, whereas most of them have been career photographers long enough to have been film users for some time, prior to digital.

Please note that I simply find this sad, not that it is unanticipated, or typical. Just sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Not meaning to hijack the OP thread, but I think this is a pertinent discussion to a sad testament about Photography Clubs for general photography.

Unfortunately, it seems the politics of Photo Club Gatherings tend to push a lot of clubs to primarily digital offerings. Short times on submissions, and the move to want to project digital images on competitions onto a screen.

Some (perhaps many) clubs have done away with competitive judging and critiques on hanging submissions. In our community of 85,000 population, the advent of digital has grown the club to a very active membership well over 100 members. But LF, MF and hanging photographs have pretty much been stomped into non-submission (or read submission here). A handful of that relatively large group may still shoot film.

The politics in the club moved into a "nasty" place and I walked away. I keep hearing this about other clubs as well.
    Kuzano,

i would say a couple of things. The first is that I have seen this as well. The general photography groups seem to have a lot of folks who having been doing photography for weeks vs experienced types, they have no idea what is possible with the medium, they haven't studied anything but their camera's manual. The idea that one would have a competition is simply idiotic. I was asked to judge one of these and I looked at their site before I said yes. I figured that I would give almost all of them somewhere between 2 and 6 out of 100. I would just look mean to everyone. Art is simply not a competition. We are all brilliant and stupid, regularly.

The other thing I would say is that the Bay Area Large Format Group that Karl mentioned is great. I've been to a number of outings with them, including one overnight camping one. This group is filled with the nicest people. It seems that if people (uhhh, that's us) are foolish enough to lug all of this gear into the outdoors, they tend to be friendlier, and more open. We all share our favorite techniques. The newbies are respectful, don't act like they know everything already and the more experienced types are happy to help them. It's a great way to compare equipment, see which loupe or tripod, tripod head or camera you like best. There have been a lot of great talks, I have made a bunch of friends I really like. I'd say if anyone is thinking of joining a group, find one that is focussed on large format.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

My good friend Bill Theis lives in Cotati. He is an accomplished large format photographer shooting color and black and white in 4x5 and 8x10. He has a show at the library up there. I'll get you some details. Bill is a super guy.

Let me know if you make it north to Humboldt County (Eureka/Arcata)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Be aware, though, that "artists" are perhaps the most egotistical group that you will ever come across. Not all, of course, but quite a few. So choose wisely.

Thomas

Al in NC

Thanks! I just signed up!

Al