Thread: testing for fogged C-41 film

testing for fogged C-41 film

Argh, the wife re-arranged the film in the fridge to make room for more food stuffs. In doing so, she placed a recently opened box of 8x10 portra on its side. I opened the fridge to retrieve a beer and found the box had split apart with the outside cover separated from the internal and back lid. Damn. I would like to know if the the film is fogged. Can I develop a sheet of the C-41 in xtol or similar to check for fogging, or do I need to bite the bullet and send a sheet off for proper C-41 developing? Obviously, I don't care about color etc, just want to know if the film was exposed to light. As an aside, I am now the proud owner of my very own dedicated film refrigerator and will soon invest in a supply of large rubber bands!

Many thanks,

mitomac

Re: testing for fogged C-41 film

If the film is still in the envelope, and in between the bottom and internal box, I think there are pretty good odds it's still good. I suppose how tightly the inner box was closed, how sealed the envelope is, how long it was on its side, how long the door was open, how bright the refrigerator light is, and what type of photography you do (i.e., do you use strobes?), could also be factors ... Best thing to do is shoot it and find out

Many thanks! I am hoping that $$$ worth of film is not ruined. I will take some test shots and send off for developing. Live and learn. I imagine from days developing autorads in grad school that the light exposure should be minimal and likely just on the extreme edge. crossing my fingers.

The Rookie

How about this...
    Replace the film. Next time you shoot, get a redundant shot with the questionable film. Compare the two shots. If they're identical, you now have plenty of film. If not, you found out without losing any work.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.