Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loupes

Re: Loupes

Maybe I'm to late now, but I have 5 loupes and my fav is the long 1.Horseman 6x you do not get with the nose on the ground glass and you get less foggy on the groundglas from your nose air!
    2.Silvestri 6x tilting loupe
    Then I have the 10x Peak it is to strong for me!
    4. 7x Nikon/Peak is not bad
    3. Cheap Hama 5x

The Zeiss close up lens 1251 from this
    http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/2668370
    and this
    http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/SHBG11.pdf where it is ahown in fig 2 ( the cone shaped eyepiece) makes an excellant loupe with focussing eyepice. i thought they were rare as hens teeth, but for some reason I have two and there are several complete kits for the Zeiss contax on the market now. Harold M. Merklinger used this in the trenholm article.

I am also in the process of buying a loupe as I find very difficult to focus with an enlarging lens.
    Is something like this or this enough or should I spend more on a better loupe for large format? I mainly use a 90mm and a 135mm and my eyes are fine..

Quote Originally Posted by federicomar View Post
    I am also in the process of buying a loupe as I find very difficult to focus with an enlarging lens.
    Is something like this or this enough or should I spend more on a better loupe for large format? I mainly use a 90mm and a 135mm and my eyes are fine..
    The Peaks are fine Loupes but a 4x to 6x magnification is recommended and as Bob Salomen earlier said, you want an opaque skirt, not the clear that you are showing. The clear is for viewing negatives or slides on a light table.

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

Have a docter optics 8x loupe which serves me well since the day I move on into large format. They are great for me to focus on light source when the rest are dark.

To Federicomar
    But we are not talking enlarger focusers here eh! Your head gets in the way if you use a loupe for enlarging.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    To Federicomar
    But we are not talking enlarger focusers here eh! Your head gets in the way if you use a loupe for enlarging.
    eheh I know, It's 30C in London but I haven't got crazy yet
    I am using an enlarger lens, not an enlarger focus finder!
    You can also use an enlarger lens to check your negatives / slides with a lightbox, you don't need a loupe

Quote Originally Posted by federicomar View Post
    I do not think those give enough magnification and 10x is too much. Try a 50mm, that is about perfect for me. I like the 50mm El-Nikkors, they are great quality and they are not expensive because there are lots of them. Remember to look through from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Barber View Post
    I do not think those give enough magnification and 10x is too much. Try a 50mm, that is about perfect for me. I like the 50mm El-Nikkors, they are great quality and they are not expensive because there are lots of them. Remember to look through from the front.
    I've been using a 10x Peak loupe (with the gaticule removed) for the past couple decades. It works for me, on the fine GGs that I have on my cameras. others may find it worth a try.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I use the Toyo loupe - it is the right lenght for my Technikardan with the back open. I also use magnifing glasses.