Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The role of solitude

Re: The role of solitude

Aside from portraits, I completely agree.

It's a lot easier to concentrate without other people around asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Being alone in the woods with my camera is something like a bad dream, for me.
    Understandable.... As much as being surrounded by others is a bad dream for me !

I need peace & quiet and enjoy taking time to literally and figuratively "focus". I also don't consider my time away and enjoyment of solitude as selfish, because I more than allow ample time for family and daily responsibilities.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

I prefer solitude. My concentration is much better when I am alone as I tend to not give my full attention to the subject/finding the composition when others are around.

I do prefer to be alone in the darkroom, and I suppose that's similar.

While I appreciate solitude, I can create that feeling anywhere.

Last week for example, I took many (well 23) pictures with my family by my side.

Of course, when I looked up they were gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I do prefer to be alone in the darkroom, and I suppose that's similar.
    Alone in the dark and with no $#&% music playing! Just the sound of water running. Excuse me I got to go pee....

Sounds like you are reluctant to 'go your own way' when in a group, when you're alone it's easier to do that. I agree that when one is with family it's difficult to detach and concentrate on photographic issues, so I avoid trying to do any serious photography in that situation. I have photographed with a group and I find it easier than I thought. In fact, being forced to stay in a location because the group is not moving causes me to force myself to look and see more attentively. Photographing in a group is not something that comes intuitively, you have to work at it like anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Alone in the dark and with no $#&% music playing! Just the sound of water running. Excuse me I got to go pee....
    Music is a must! Lately I'm in a Schumann phase.

You all might be interested in Susan Cain's book "Quiet". She makes a strong plea for the introverted life style. Her TED lecture gives a nice overview. http://blog.ted.com/2012/02/28/an-in...in-at-ted2012/

I was initially attracted to photography in the first place because I've always been a 'loner' and did not enjoy and was not good at interacting and participating in activities with others, however loosely you define "activity". Having a 35mm camera in hand allowed me to go into these situations as an observer only and not a participant. Having the camera was my excuse for being around and in close proximity to others - we are 'social animals' after all, most of us probably wouldn't choose to live alone on a desert isle - but not being required to interact with the group.

My style has changed much over the years from those first days. I no longer use the small, 35mm cameras that were really only the initial catalyst for something else and photography grew into my life pursuit (not my lively-hood). As I became more proficient and competent as a photographer, I began to loose the small cameras and my subjects began to tend away from social settings - i.e. "Street Photography", to more contemplative, outdoor and other subjects where people weren't as important. There is almost never any sign of actual, living people in my photographs now, only the marks they have made. And those, in abundance.

These days I am married and my 'loner status' has changed significantly. My wife and I do many road trips, cross country and otherwise. It's something we have always enjoyed doing together, but the impetus for these trips has almost always been photography related. She has her interests (usually antiquing and looking for flea markets) and I have mine. It's been a long process to get her used to the fact that I'll often stop along the highway, or wander into some small, photogenic little town, while she waits in the car to let me take my time do my thing. Alone.

This is still not ideal and isn't the same a true "solitude", but we have to make our compromises somewhere. I still go off for the occasional weekend road trip alone and these trips are usually where my best work comes from.

As for shooting in groups, with other photographers, been there done that. There can be some benefit to being around a bunch of like-minded, creative individuals with similar interests, but I don't think it's conducive to getting your work done.