Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 enlarger recommendation

4x5 enlarger recommendation

So I'm in the market for a new 4x5 enlarger, and I've got a wishlist of features I'd like, but not enough hands-on time with most of the less common models (i.e., not Beseler or Omega) to know what has what and functions how (if that makes sense enough). Here's what I'm after:

Rock-solid construction. Needless to say, this is important across all enlargers. I come from the printing (as in, presses) field, so the difference between sturdy and solid is pretty clear for me. Basically, I'm after something that isn't going to shake or wear itself apart, and can be assembled and disassembled without major headaches, along with the more basic requirement of resisting vibration. Beselers are nice and rigid, but they lack in the precision of their construction.

Precision. Tight, tidy focusing, well-designed and manufactured parts that fit together in clean ways. Fine adjustability and the ability to maintain adjustment are paramount. I want to be able to align it perfectly, use it for a year or two, and have it still be aligned. Beselers never seemed up to this task, not did Omega D2s.

Availability of replacement/maintenance parts. If its got something thats going to wear out or that could reasonably break, I don't want to have to spend 6 months tracking down a replacement part. Similarly, having a good following already would be nice, since whatever I acquire will probably be out of production already, or be gone by the end of the decade (I doubt I'll be able to buy a new Omega D5XL in 2020, but I'll certainly be able to get parts for one with all they've sold). Dursts have plenty out there too, if you can figure out the name of the part you're trying to buy.

Lightsource: If I get steered the Omega route, I'm eyeballing the new LED heads, probably the diffusion one. If its something else, then I'd like something that takes a bulb I can still get. I just went through the hassle of getting a bulb adapter for my Leitz V35 because it was made to take a bulb that hasn't been around for almost 30 years. Other than that, I don't really have a preference of diffusion over condenser/point-source. I don't, however, care for cold-light systems. Too hard to get repeatable results, in my experience. Durst's point-source head for the L1200 intrigues me.

Price: I figure its going to be the last large-format enlarger I'll ever own, so I'm ok with dropping some dollars on it, even if it means saving those pennies for a year or two, I'll at least know what I'm saving for. Lets try not to get into Durst-Pro-USA NOS prices, but I could be swayed to aim close.

To summarize, I'm basically after the large-format equivalent of my V35, or put another way, the enlarger equivalent of my Sinar P2. Precise, sturdy, nothing to wear out (especially now that I can use more common bulbs). I have a feeling I'm going to be hearing a lot of cheers for Omega's later models, Dursts, and the odd DeVere. I'm particularly curious about the Omega D5500, the LPL/Saunders 4550XLG, and the Zone VI (though its cold light head is somewhat worrisome).

What do you all think I'm after? What enlargers have you used that you've thought to yourself "This is a really well-designed piece of equipment"?
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

Tim Sandstrom

Re: 4x5 enlarger recommendation

The first really good 4x5 enlarger I ever used was a Saunders/LPL 4500 II with VCCE [at foothill college, thanks Kate!],
    rock solid, precise, smooth, popular, coming down in price. Others will have opionions [I have a durst 138s but
    I wanted something for 5x7].

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
    What enlargers have you used that you've thought to yourself "This is a really well-designed piece of equipment"?
    Durst 184, an exceptional piece of equipment.....but having said that mine stands beside a Beseler 45VXL that I use for 4x5 and 6x7.
    I would not use the Durst for the smaller formats when the Beseler is right there, quicker and more convenient to use, and of the 3 Beselers that I have owned I have never had problems with any of them going out of adjustment.

Scott,

I'd never considered the larger Dursts. A 184 is probably overkill by a few orders for my needs, but a 138 might be something to consider. I'm really just looking to do 4x5 work, since I don't shoot MF really at all any more, I've got the V35 for 35mm work, and I stick with contact prints for my 8x10s.

With my past Baseler 45MXT enlargers, one perpetual problem was the seemingly-impossible task of making them light-tight. Have you noticed anything similar with your 45VXL? Put another way, is there anything about the 45VXL that you wish was better/different?

As a printer, I specialize in etchings, lithographs, and letterpress work, so I've also had to develop my machining and fabricating skills, so a desired modification might be within my skills to accomplish down the road.
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

There are lots of good choices. I like 1980s and newer De Vere 504s.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

L1200 w color head. I have that and a saunders 4500VC and the L1200 is my favorite by far.

My DeJur Professional from about 1950 doesn't fill all of your requirements, but sure suits me. I like being able to tilt the head and lens board independently for perspective control, even if this does mean occasionally checking alignment.

I'd second Peter J's comment about the DeVere 504. I have one in my darkroom and it is, IMO, the best there is. They are heavy, rigid, easy to align, smooth moving and were designed thoughtfully. You might consider an Ilford 500 Multigrade head - the light source is a pair of cheap, easy to find bulbs. Also, the heads are light, so no need to crank up spring tension in the enlarger (makes the camera easier to move).

I also have a Durst L184 - but the negative carriers are expensive and sorta hard to find. I only print 8X10 in that one. I never really liked the L138. The platen base is mounted on a single arm, on a ball-head (at least the two that I have owned were built this way). Makes things too wobbley and hard to keep aligned. The negative carriers are also sorta hard to come by.

I have an adapter plate for my DeVere which allows the use of common Beseler negative carriers. One of these could be built easily for any enlarger - then you can buy cheap, easy to find carriers. If you end up finding a DeVere - shoot me a PM and I'll trace the plate on a large piece of paper and send it to you. It would probably cost $150 to have a CNC shop cut it out for you. This kind of adapter would also let you use the Speed Carrier type casette / mask combo.

Good luck in your search!

No enlarger I've ever used or heard of will meet all your criteria because some of the criteria are contradictory. For example, on the one hand you want parts availability, on the other you don't seem to want the two most popular brands/modelsin the U.S. (Beseler and Omega) for which parts might continue to be available on the used market for many years. You want rock solid and precision, which to me means Durst or maybe Devere (I've never used or even seen a Devere in the U.S.) but you don't want to pay Durst prices for parts (plus availability would be a problem even if you paid the price).

Saunders enlargers have a good reputation and are generally considered to be excellent enlargers but the only one I've seen and played around with (John Sexton's) didn't seem to be made any better than the Beselers and Omegas I've owned. Which isn't to suggest that any of those three brands are poorly made, they're all made well and are perfectly adequate for the job at hand, but none have the kind of over-built precision/solidity you seem to be looking for. John had tape all over his to eliminate light leaks, which isn't unusual and isn't a problem but doesn't bring to mind a finely made precision instrument.

So I'd suggest figuring out which of the qualities you're most willing to give up and which are most important to you. That should pretty much make your choice for you because it's not like you have 25 or 30 different brands/models of 4x5 enlargers to choose from, there weren't all that many different brands and models of 4x5 enlargers even made and still available.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
    Scott,
    With my past Baseler 45MXT enlargers, one perpetual problem was the seemingly-impossible task of making them light-tight. Have you noticed anything similar with your 45VXL? Put another way, is there anything about the 45VXL that you wish was better/different?
    An unmodified Beseler lights up a dark room like a Christmas tree (as do most enlargers) but it is almost all easily fixed with some black duct tape and skirting.
    The Durst required a number of light leaks to be plugged as well but with a bit of tape and skirting it is completely light tight now.

The biggest issue with the Beseler is the negative stage, it is not possible to make it light tight and skirting is not an easy fix. on a good note all of the other light leaks are easily repaired and the light leaking out around the negative is not shining down toward the baseboard.