Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berlebach tripods with the integral ball heads.

Berlebach tripods with the integral ball heads.

I asked about tripods before, and I got some pretty good answers. I was going to go with a surveyor's tripod, but the Berlebach units seem to stack up pretty well and are well regarded.

They're also wood, and thus, pretty classy looking as well.

At this point, I've got it narrowed down to the 8023, 2042, or 3032. There's a few differences between them: 8023 is a 3 section, weighs 6.2#, supports 22#, collapse to 27", no head 2042 is a 2 section, weighs 7.1#, supports 26#, collapse to 32", with level head, 65" with center column 3032 is a 2 section, weighs 7.1#, supports 26#, collapse to 35", with level head, 56" and no center column.

So, using the above guidelines, my question is: How useful is the integral ballhead? I've read its got about 30 degrees of tilt, which sounds like its more than enough for setting up in the field and using movements to do everything else. A tripod without the head saves me some weight (but not length, those units are 2 section and thus longer). Is the head nice and secure? I noticed in a store with some other tripods that the biggest issue in regards to shakiness seems to be the tripod head itself and how it moves the center of gravity, not actually the mass of the legs. Is the integral head solid and sturdy, or am I better off just skipping the integral heads and buying an expensive 3-way and sucking up the weight (although, with that, I get the 8023 and at least shave 5" off collapsed size).

Anyone with these models, can you tell me how far up they sit without using the center column? The comparision chart I've found (http://www.photobooksonline.com/gear/chart.html) and Berlebach's website (http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php) don't have this information available on them, B&H does say the column adds 20" onto the 8023, anyone know about the 2042's column?

Hi gfen.

I own a model that you are not asking about, the 4032, but it does have the integral ballhead. I love it. I'm putting an 8x10 Deardorff on it, and it is stable enough to hold that camera. The ballhead adjusts easily, and that is the only thing I can caution you about with this tripod. Once the tensioning bolt is loosened, it seems that the ball will move very easily. I've accidentally tipped the camera once that way, but fortunately I was able to catch it before it caused any damage. You will just need to be cautious.

Mine is 64 3/4 " from ground to the top of the ball platform. The legs are in two sections (only one section that expands). It has a 3/8" screw. I chose the model that is painted black, because they marketed it as being "less conspicuous". That was before I had the 'dorff. Now I wish I had gotten the plain wood model. Maybe I can just spraypaint my 'dorff black

Good luck. DG

Oops!

Forgot to mention that mine does not have the center column; my experiences with center columns has been that there is less stability when you crank this extension up. It just gives gravity and wind (translates to camera movement in the end) extra leverage.

DG

Old School Wayne

I also have the Berle 4032. It wont do for shots pointing straight down or close to that, thats for sure, but otherwise it's worked fine.

The 4032 sounds pretty ideal, actually. The 3032 is only a bit shorter, and has a higher weight capacity, too. I only looked at the Uni line, didn't check out the Reporter series, but if others are using them for their 8x10s, my B&J 8x10 flatbed should be fine on it as well. Does anyone know a US dealer for these models?

"Does anyone know a US dealer for these models?"

We are th US distributor for Berlebach so any dealer listed on our web page can order them for you. Bear images in Palo Alto has some UNI models in stock.

As far as I know, all the Report series standard-issue columns are 50 cm in length. You can option for shorter/longer ones.

I bought the 3032 and am impressed enough with the integral leveling ball that I don't even bother to use my 003663 Linhof head anymore 90% of the time. For architecture I still find a 3-way head a lot less frustrating to deal with, but it sure is nice to have a ton of weight savings and also having the camera right on top of the apex of the legs.

I optioned a lever instead of the standard knob for the locking mechanism, and that makes a big difference. The tension control on the leveling ball is as good as any head I've used, except for the Arca-Swiss B1 & B1G, which of course have the unfair elliptical advantages. I've used every major ballhead out there; this one matches up well with the Studioball, high praise indeed.

The spring tension on the 1/4"-20 camera screw in the ball is so good that I don't use a quick release mechanism with this setup anymore. Honestly I don't think the standard Arca-type clamp is any faster, it is just a waste of weight to carry. This is the only tripod besides the Ries, which also have the spring-loaded screw, for which I would make this claim. Get the 3032 unless you're supremely tall, I think you'll love it as do I.

"I've used every major ballhead out there;"

Most, not all. You haven't tried the Novoflex ClassicBall 5 which is now available.

Ordered a 3032, it may not be the most portable at 35", but then I guess the whole 8x10 thing isn't exactly designed with portability in mind.

Should be here Friday, looking forward to it. With a new Symmar SII 300 just arrived, a Wolly 159 in the mail, and a new tripod I can't wait for spring weather to FINALLY get here in its warmth and glory. Heh.

I know this isn't a commercial forum, but I ended up purchasing from http://www.photobooksonline.com/gear/directory.html and I just wanted to let people know that Leon, the guy I dealt with, was a very nice person, these prices on these tripods VERY fair, and not to mention it was the only vendor I was able to locate besides B&H that sold them. The HP Marketing website didn't have the most useful search function, but that's a whole other and completely irrelevant topic.

A glitch prevented the B&H site from advertising the entire line which is imported into the USA, but now they're showing-including the 3032. Enjoy it, it is a great unit at a great price.