Thread: Omega D5 w/ Color head or Prolab II?

Andrew "The RedSun"

Omega D5 w/ Color head or Prolab II?

I'm in the market for a 4x5 enlarger and I'm now looking at those two enlargers. They are in similar very good condition and they are in similar price range. They both come with Schneider Componon lenses. The color head is Super Chromega D Dichroic II and the Prolab II comes with the newer (black) DV head.

At this point, I just do B&W work. At some point, I may do some color darkroom work after I acquire some color processing system, like the Jobo. I also have the option to scan the film and send the digital file to color processing shop.

So, should I just get the color D5, or I should get the Prolab II and shop for the color head if one comes at a good price?

Re: Omega D5 w/ Color head or Prolab II?

I worked professionally with both kinds for decades. Get the color head if it comes with the power supply or the Chromegatrol. Easy contrast control with VC papers, no blown highlights from the condenser's Callier effect, less spotting, and if you ever go to color printing you're ready.

Re: Omega D5 w/ Color head or Prolab II?

As far as I know....on good authority.

Omega has stopped producing both systems now. That stated I would get a D5 with a color Dichroic II lamp house. The Prolab II was a bastard child of two seperate systems. The Prolab II utilized the D5500 column and knob system. Omega stopped prodcing anything like support for the Prolab II over 15 years ago. Therefore you can't get parts for the D5500 which used lots of proprietary items. The D5 is a straight forward system, most parts are metal so a good machineist may be more help than Omega will be.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com