Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

  1. #1

    New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    This is the only Ries tripod made like this in the world and I just wanted to share some pictures of it with you guys.









  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    119

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    Wow! She's a beauty. I have the same model/head combo...less the wood color, of course. I guess I could always stain it for a similar look!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    586

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    One of the things that appeals to about cameras and photographic equipment itself is the "technical aesthetic" they mostly seems to share. Particularly newer cameras - no plastic, before the digital revolution. There is something instrument-like about the black metal, chrome trim, precision engraved scales and textured leather that makes them what they are. For that reason, I've always been a little averse to the older "antique" cameras and tripods, even though I have a newer wood field camera that I really enjoy. I know it's really about the pictures and not the tools, but still, the tools are a big part of it.

    Now, after seeing these excellent photos of your Reis tripod and txc500's "new" Kodak 2D, I'm kinda rethinking all that. I've always appreciated the sheer quality and "built to last forever" designs of the older stuff. Also the fact that it wasn't completely, 100% utilitarian, there was at least a little bit of...what? Decoration? I can't think of the word....Looking at these great old cameras and this tripod (I know the tripod is'nt that old, but it looks it) is really making me think and wondering what it is I see in the "new", technical looking LF and general camera gear.

    That is a REALLY nice setup you have, and so nice to look at too, all functionality aside. Thanks for sharing!

  4. #4
    Will Whitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, for now...
    Posts
    999

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    What is the advantage of sapele? Was it strictly an aesthetic choice? Did you supply the wood to Ries and have them make the tripod to order?
    The Ries tripods are wonderful.

  5. #5

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephBurke View Post
    Wow! She's a beauty. I have the same model/head combo...less the wood color, of course. I guess I could always stain it for a similar look!
    When I first contacted Ries about a tripod with darker wood they offered to stain one for me, however they wouldnīt recommend it because of the changes overtime with exposure to UV rays. I guess I contacted them at the right time since they were testing other wood options and offered to make this one to me as a special order. Itīs by far the best build / good looking tripod I've seen in a long time.

  6. #6

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    One of the things that appeals to about cameras and photographic equipment itself is the "technical aesthetic" they mostly seems to share. Particularly newer cameras - no plastic, before the digital revolution. There is something instrument-like about the black metal, chrome trim, precision engraved scales and textured leather that makes them what they are. For that reason, I've always been a little averse to the older "antique" cameras and tripods, even though I have a newer wood field camera that I really enjoy. I know it's really about the pictures and not the tools, but still, the tools are a big part of it.

    Now, after seeing these excellent photos of your Reis tripod and txc500's "new" Kodak 2D, I'm kinda rethinking all that. I've always appreciated the sheer quality and "built to last forever" designs of the older stuff. Also the fact that it wasn't completely, 100% utilitarian, there was at least a little bit of...what? Decoration? I can't think of the word....Looking at these great old cameras and this tripod (I know the tripod is'nt that old, but it looks it) is really making me think and wondering what it is I see in the "new", technical looking LF and general camera gear.

    That is a REALLY nice setup you have, and so nice to look at too, all functionality aside. Thanks for sharing!
    Wow. So I might turn you over to "the dark side" Cletus? Thanks for the nice comments, and for decoration, my fiancee actually want the tripod as a furniture piece in our living room. When not in use I'm thinking of mounting a stage light to it.

  7. #7

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    What is the advantage of sapele? Was it strictly an aesthetic choice? Did you supply the wood to Ries and have them make the tripod to order?
    The Ries tripods are wonderful.
    Will, the quality of the sapele wood is comparable to the hardrock maple. I wanted something to match my mahogany camera and Ries offered to make me this one because they were testing wood options at the time I contacted them.

  8. #8
    Whatever David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Posts
    4,658
    If a tripod can be sexy, that's the tripod.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,055

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    Quote Originally Posted by kameraobskura View Post
    This is the only Ries tripod made like this in the world and I just wanted to share some pictures of it with you guys.






    How long ago did you get this? It's so beautiful. I'd love to have the legs like that to carry my camera!


    Asher

  10. #10

    Re: New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post



    How long ago did you get this? It's so beautiful. I'd love to have the legs like that to carry my camera!


    Asher

    Asher, I picked it up at the post office 2 days ago, so it's quite new new


    -Kristian

Similar Threads

  1. Ries J 100 vs J 600 tripod
    By Julian Pearce in forum Gear
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2009, 18:40
  2. Custom Wood Frames from the Internet
    By Stephen Willard in forum Business
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-Oct-2008, 09:49
  3. Old Ries tripod - wood? Finish?
    By Scott -- in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5-Oct-2008, 14:01

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •