Thread: Hiking at the Don Kirby Anasazi Workshop

Hiking at the Don Kirby Anasazi Workshop

I've been corresponding with Don Kirby about taking his Anasazi workshop (not the Llama one, the walking one) which I'd love to take since I greatly admire his work and from all I've read he's an excellent workshop instructor. However, I'm concerned about the hiking. In his literature he describes two of the hikes as "tough." I've learned that when an experienced hiker calls something "tough" it's usually pretty damned difficult, especially when carrying 15 or 20 pounds of camera equipment. I'm not in the best shape and don't usually hike any great distances. I don't mind expending effort but I don't want to hold up a group of photographers or feel that I have to overextend myself to keep up. I'm wondering whether anyone here has taken this workshop (again, it's not the Llama one, it's the other Anasazi workshop with Don and Joan Gentry) and if so how difficult they found the hiking, especially the two "tough" hikes.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I know Don personally and if he says it's tough, then it's TOUGH. He is a very fit individual and does a lot of backcountry stuff. The word "hardcore" comes to mind. Having said that he has had a lot of experience with running these types of workshops so would be able to give you a pretty good indication of your fitness level verses what's needed. Remember for these hikes you will be carrying a LOT of water. So figure on at least 40 to 50 lbs on your back.

Time to hit the gym big guy!!

Eric
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I've been out with Don and Joan a couple of times -- not on the regular Anasazi workshop, I've been on a couple of llama backpack trips with him. Yes, he's fit and experienced with the backcountry but I'd be surprised that the day hikes are more than "moderate". I think there's a pretty wide range of people on these workshops. You ought to be able to hike/walk comfortably for several hours -- not fast just consistent. I'd try to limit the weight -- with a couple quarts of water -- to about 30 pounds or less. The backpack trips were very much like day hiking since we just carried camera gear with the llamas taking the food and camping gear.

Anyway, I'd be honest with Don about your shape. He's done a lot of these workshops so I'd think he's good at judging people's capabilities. If you decide you can do it, I highly recommend Don and Joan. They are great people and easy going.

Roy

Brian,

I would second what Roy said - Hey Roy!

I think Don and Joan are very realistic about what difficulty a hike would be for a workshop participant. I have taken this workshop, and two of the Llama trips (Roy was on one with me), and while a challenge it is not a hike that you will die from exertion. They have calculated into the hike time for the hike slow hikers. I put myself in that category! And I did not feel as though I was holding others back. I would follow Roy's suggestion and have a frank discussion with Don. I would also start going up and down the stairs with a pack as Don suggests.

I too heartily recommend Don and Joan. They are great people, good instructors, and serve up some mean Anasazi beans!

Mike