Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I touched it....

I touched it....

I had some time to kill, so I was looking over my new to me, camera.

I thought I would pull the back off, and check out the ground glass. I now have a finger print, on the inside portion of the glass. Nearest the lens part. Nothing real bad. I tried to clean it down with a soft rag.

What if anything do folks use to clean ground glass [both sides]?

TIA

Re: I touched it....

Alcohol or lens cleaner with a soft cloth such as a very old T shirt.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Appreciate it. It's not real noticeable under my cloth, but I would like to clean it, since I haven't since I got it in.

Thanks

90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. This will likely remove any grid, too.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Take the glass out and wash it in water and dish washing soap, rinse, dry and install.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Take the glass out and wash it in water and dish washing soap, rinse, dry and install.
    Same here Henry.This works the best in my book.

I take the ground glass out and wash it lightly with warm water and dish soap on a wet "Bounty" paper towel. wash both sides w/ very light pressure in circular motion. When finished washing I lay the GG on a couple of dry Bounty towels then a couple on top. Pat dry & then reinstall in back.

***Word of caution. If you have an original Deardorff grid screen, you need to take care not to wash the grid off. The few I have had were simply laid on the ground glass with something like a bead of silicon or like product. On these it might be best to clean with the 90% rubbing alcohol.

Windex will take the grid right off a Sinar ground glass. Please don't ask me how I learned this.

Peter Gomena

"Take the glass out and wash it in water and dish washing soap, rinse, dry, and install."
    +1 This is the way I've always cleaned mine too.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Sell the camera and buy a new one!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

As Mark indicated the camera is completely ruined now and no matter how much you clean it you will never have any confidence in the ground glass. Your next question to self will be should I replace the glass completely and if I do what if it comes with a fingerprint on it? Was/is it aligned properly in the GG holder and did I alter the ice pack in Greenland by putting my finger print on the glass. There are so many aspects of LF photography yet to be confronted. You also need to ask if the fingerprint will show on your negatives. And can you be certain it won't,