Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams : questionable ethics?...or it doesn't matter ?

Ansel Adams : questionable ethics?...or it doesn't matter ?

I wouldn't be able to consider the product a true fine print , but merely a reproduction”.

What is the difference? Not much in my opinion. All prints are reproduction in some sense!

Is this all just a bit academic anyway? People are buying. Publishers are printing. All and sundry are talking and the world of photography has been blessed. What else could a man want of his vocation. And no doubt his estate adjusters have rubber thingies on their finger tips.

By all accounts his intentions have been met in full. RIP
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

As far as I know, the only Adams prints not made by the photographer himself are the "special edition" prints. These are made by people trained by Adams and are/were not signed by him. There is a stamp on the front of the matte labelling them as special editions and are meant to be affordable prints. There are only a few images in the series and they are readily distinguished from his other work. I don't remembeer if they are produced from the original negative or from copy/duplicate negs. Even if so, the ones I have examined are fully of "fine print" quality and it's obvious that the printer went to some effort to get it right. No "questionable ethics" there. I'm sure that there is complete information about the "Special Edition" prints somewhere on the 'net but I haven't looked.

"I have read more times of Adams and his resolution to reproduce his final prints..."

I have a laser scan reproduction of Winter Sunrise that was initialed by Ansel Adams that was included with a copy of 'Ansel Adams: Images 1923 - 1974' that I bought when it first came out. Below the initials it states "This reproduction was approved and initialed by the photographer". Is this what you are referring too?

Mike:

I also bought a copy of "1923-74" when it was released, and I definitely recall not getting a copy of that laser scan reproduction. Drat! Did you get a special edition that was not the 'general release'?

As it happens, I was in Yosemite last fall, and did buy one of the Special Edition prints (El Capitan). As best I recall, the information that came with it stated that it was printed from the original negative.

Don,

I checked on the Images jacket and this was one of the first editions of the second printing, printed in 1981. I think the Winter Sunrise print was only included with the second edition printing. Its hard to remember that far back, but I believe if you ordered one of the first 100 copies (maybe one of the first 200?) that the print was included with it. Or maybe it was included with all second edition printings. I'm not sure. Its been awhile. This was one of the 14" x 17" coffee table editions.

Arghh...my copy is a first edition -- I special-ordered it through my local bookstore as soon as it was advertised. I guess that explains why I didn't get the Winter Sunrise print. I'm not sure about the outside dimensions of my edition (it's at home), but it did come in a slipcase.

It was quite an expensive purchase for me at the time, as I was a pretty low-paid clerk, but, I've never regretted buying it.

"It was quite an expensive purchase for me at the time, as I was a pretty low-paid clerk, but, I've never regretted buying it"

I was in high school and working stock at nights at a grocery store. I could'nt afford Images at the time but my parents bought it for me for a Christmas present. And they say parents don't understand their kids

My parents understood too, and gave me _Yosemite and the Range of Light_ for my Bar Mitzvah.

I had to buy Yosemite and the Range of Light on my own. I figured if I got Images for Christmas then surely I would have gotten Yosemite for my birthday but no luck