Dear friends,

today I saw a very nice exhibition - life-work of one of the best (at least in my eyes) Czech photographers - Jan Reich (he died in 2009, would be 70 this year - hence the exhibition).

Jan Riech started photography in 1960s - first as an apprentice in a studio learned how to operate large format cameras, then he decided to travel - worked in a travelling circus, then went to "walk Paris" for two years... Since 1970 he started exploring his home city of Prague and other parts of Bohemia mostly with his old simple 13x18 and later 18x24cm camera, creating an astonishing body of work - in the verge between landscape and documentary photography - documenting the countryside as well as people inhabiting the more remote villages.

He is also well known to produce two portfolios (and books) on Prague - and as far as I have seen, there is no living soul in his images of this city - sometimes it is almost haunting...

You can check some of his images in the site of the Novy Svet Gallery (aka New World - also the name of a pictoresque tiny street in the heart of this city where he lived).

The exhibition, consisting of more than 400 prints (original prints by the photographer AFAIK) is open until August 19th, in one of the wings of Prague's Castle, so if you summer trip takes you through Prague, don't pass by!
More info HERE