Thread: Large format photography with Nikon D800

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Large format photography with Nikon D800

This is for real. A Nikon D800 mounted on the back of a 4x5 camera:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/07/30/gu...e-holder.aspx/

partial quote from the article:
    "It’s really quite simple. What you need is a large format camera, a suitable lens and a digital camera body instead of a film holder. In this case it’s an Arca Swiss 4x5/9x12 rail camera, an Yamasaki Congo 180 mm/4.5 lens and a Nikon D800:"

Worth a look. Actually looks kinda fun
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: Large format photography with Nikon D800

There are several forum members who've done this and talked about it at length here. Sorry, it's not new. There are several companies making the parts.
    waste of time.

Great way use a dodgey Congo ;-p

Yeah Calumet/Cambo made stuff to do this 15 years ago. It's impractical unless you need a long lens. 1/10th of a degree tilt on that small a sensor is going to look like a mile, there is too much slop in most 4x5 cameras.

way back, in the 70s, some companies offered a kind of mini-viewcamera for 35mm SLRs. The thing was basically a very fancy macro-bellows contraption and looked a lot like the L-standard Horsemans, offering FULL movements (swing, tilt, shift, rise) front and back (some even geared). A 75mm lens already allowed focusing to infinity. I still have one; but in truth, it's little more than a cool looking gizmo of limited use.

Veeeeery old news. I've tried it a couple of times like maybe 10 and 6 years ago? And it is not worth the effort past a quick novelty-no wide lenses-sensor box quickly cuts off image with movements-the best dslr lenses are better in most cases than the LF ones at that sensor size-older vc lenses (non "digital") have worse CA than modern lenses designed to deal with it blah blah blah.......at one point Calumet came to my class to do a demo of the latest example of this technique (Sinar). It was a joke.

It destroys the handiness of a DSLR AND the large image capture advantage of a 4x5.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I read a lot about people 'Polaroid' proofing with digital cameras and using digital cameras for exposure meters, so I figure that kind of setup is pretty common.

"Polaroid proofing" with a Digital camera (quite common) usually refers to using an equivalent lens on your DSLR as per your LF camera and using that to check lighting and exposure-not sticking your DSLR on the back of your VC where you will get a small sample of your VCs field of view.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    "Polaroid proofing" with a Digital camera (quite common) usually refers to using an equivalent lens on your DSLR as per your LF camera and using that to check lighting and exposure-not sticking your DSLR on the back of your VC where you will get a small sample of your VCs field of view.
    Doesn't seem like that would get one very far in terms of exact exposure as the method is not using the view camera's point-of view, lens, shutter, aperture or bellows extension. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Doesn't seem like that would get one very far in terms of exact exposure as the method is not using the view camera's point-of view, lens, shutter, aperture or bellows extension. Just wondering.
    f22 and iso 100 is f22 and iso 100, use the iso dial or exp compensation for any bellows factor. not a big deal. Not sure how attaching a heavy camera to the back of your heavy camera, changing the bellows to a bag bellows to accomodate the ultra short lens needed to to get the same field of view, moving the standards around to focus the tiny 24mmx36mm sensor, then switching it all back to shoot a piece of film would get one very far either.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    f22 and iso 100 is f22 and iso 100, use the iso dial or exp compensation for any bellows factor. not a big deal. Not sure how attaching a heavy camera to the back of your heavy camera, changing the bellows to a bag bellows to accomodate the ultra short lens needed to to get the same field of view, moving the standards around to focus the tiny 24mmx36mm sensor, then switching it all back to shoot a piece of film would get one very far either.
    That's not necessarily true with digital, regarding the ISO setting.

Apparently certain ISO settings aren't the actual true value being displayed, depending on the camera and specific ISO. Try it out. You'll see your shutter speeds won't change by a full stop between supposedly full stop increments of sensitivity. I believe this is more of an issue at the lowest and highest settings. But if you're metering at ISO 100 that's the lowest on most cameras.

It might be semantics that would only account for 2/3 of a stop in light, but, I think it's important to note. I noticed that when I "metered" with my DSLR I got inconsistent results.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome