Thread: Compendium Shade for Arca Swiss Discovery?

Compendium Shade for Arca Swiss Discovery?

I purchased a used Arca Swiss Discovery recently. It is a very fine camera and a pleasure to use in the field (although more of a hassle to schlep around than my Wista DXII). I would like to get a compendium shade for it, but $640 is too much for a camera which cost me $900. I saw a reference to Canham making a compendium hood ($300) which can be used on the Arca. Does anyone have familiarity with this hood? Quality? Flexibility? Work well with the Arca?

--John

Badger Graphic confirms that the Canham hood will work with the Arca Swiss Discovery. Anyone have any experience using this hood? How does it compare to the stock Arca compendium?

I'm not familiar with the Canham, but I occasionally see used Calumet hoods on sale. It isn't very difficult to make these fit nearly any view Camera. I think they are good units and you might be able to save still more money.

The Canham doesn't have the filter slots otherwise you should see no difference.

How would one use graduated neutral density filters with the Canham hood? Some sort of separate filter holder?

Get one of the older Arca lens hoods. I have one, and they're excellent. They have blades on all four sides that allow you to narrow in very close to the film. One sold on ebay within the last couple of days for under $135.

Would any one have a link to view one of these shades? Also, although I doubt it has any one fitted same to a sinar (any)?
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

I have an old arca hood, however i dont have any easy means of attaching it, any ideas?