Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson 3880 and PhotoShop Printing Issue

Epson 3880 and PhotoShop Printing Issue

Clearly, I'm missing something critical in the chain. I've scanned an 8x10 negative and worked it up to my satisfaction in Photoshop. I resized the image to 16x20 and set the paper for 17x22. In advanced settings, I've chosen B&W Mode with a cool tone. The print is beyond my expectations, save for one tiny detail. It prints out at 12x15" in the corner of the 17x22 sheet. It's a gorgeous 12x15 (by my somewhat limited standards), but it isn't what I asked for and it isn't what the Print Preview says I should be getting. It is precisely 75% of the image size I configured. Can somebody tell me what I screwed up?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Epson 3880 and PhotoShop Printing Issue

If the 3880 printing screen is like the 7900, be sure that the "center image" box is checked, and the print size is set to 100%. This is a separate setting from the paper size selection box in the "print settings " screen.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Thanks, RJ. I will look at that when I get home tonight. That sounds like a plausible explanation.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

There are so many variations of the print drivers and Photoshop versions out there, and they like to move things around... on my Epson R3000 I have that "center image" check box on the main Photoshop print screen, but I also have to open the "Print Settings" box on the same screen and set the paper size and other parameters.

You can experiment with smaller paper and image sizes to save money and time.

Thanks, Frank. I have that same check box, and it is indeed checked. That bonehead mistake came on my first 13x19 when the image was 11x16, but starting about 1/16" of an inch away from the lower left-hand corner. This one is selected for center, but not printing there. The print settings were all triple-checked after the first incorrectly sized print came out. I didn't know about the Print Screen setting, so I still have to check that when I get home. That may be the culprit. That, along with giving an idiot an expensive toy to play with.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Double check the paper size matches the size of your image. Ie. canvas size in Photoshop matches the size of the paper that is set in your printer settings. An obvious one but sometimes easy to miss.

Thanks, Welly. I have missed that one in the past, but I checked this time. They match.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Still no success. I've checked all the settings and made screen shots. I hope they're legible here. But the print size and the canvas size are both 16x20 (although I thought the canvas size was supposed to be the 17x22 paper size...). Everything appears to be at 100% and the preview screen looks right. When I do a Print with Preview, the preview looks right. Then when I print, I get a 12x15 print in the lower corner of the 17x22 page. See the attached collection of screen shots.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Peter

Michael
    Let me start out by saying I don't have a 3880, but I have had a couple Epsons.
    Did you set the margins for the paper at 1/2" on the top and bottom, and 1" on the sides?
    Why are you printing your horizontal image in portrait mode? Could you have confused the top and bottom with the sides in regard to the margins, since you've oriented like that?

Hope that helps, that's all I've got.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    Michael
    Let me start out by saying I don't have a 3880, but I have had a couple Epsons.
    Did you set the margins for the paper at 1/2" on the top and bottom, and 1" on the sides?
    Why are you printing your horizontal image in portrait mode? Could you have confused the top and bottom with the sides in regard to the margins, since you've oriented like that?

Hope that helps, that's all I've got.

Peter
    I'm not printing in portrait. If you look closer, the setting is for landscape with the top of the image pointed to the left side. I didn't set margins because it is set to print the 16x20" image centered on the 17x22 sheet.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub